We don’t talk politics at The Shooter’s Log, but we do care about every American’s Second Amendment rights. We strive to keep you apprised of laws that impact you as gun owners.
The 2020 Presidential Election is weeks away, and we want our readers—both regular and new—to be aware of the potential impact of each candidate’s stances on gun control.
While it’s no secret that we’re proponents of the Second Amendment, we aren’t here to tell you who to vote for.
Read on for the facts about both President Donald J. Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden’s proposed gun control policies so you can make an informed decision on November 3.
Former Vice President Biden’s Gun Control Stances
Biden is the candidate for the Democratic Party. Here are some of his stances on gun control straight from his campaign website:
- Hold gun manufacturers civilly liable when their products are used for crimes.
- Ban the manufacture and sale of high-capacity magazines and “assault weapons.”
- Put limits on the stockpiling of weapons and restrict individual firearm purchases to one per month.
- Enact stricter background checks for all gun sales.
- End the online sale of firearms and ammunition.
- Require that all guns in America be “smart guns” (i.e. require fingerprint match).
Additionally, here is a viral tweet that he sent out in February 2020:
No one needs an AR-15. Period. We have to get these weapons of war out of our communities.
— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) February 15, 2020
President Donald J. Trump’s Gun Control Stances
Trump is the incumbent president and the candidate for the Republican Party. Here are some of his stances on gun control, along with their sources:
- Gun ownership makes the U.S. safer, not more dangerous. (Source: CBS Interview, 2015)
- Against the ban of high-capacity magazines and “assault weapons.” (Source: ABC News)
- Purchase restrictions for dangerous individuals and people on terrorist watch-list. (Source: First 2016 Presidential Debate)
- Appoint Supreme Court judges who respect the Second Amendment. (Source: Third 2016 Presidential Debate)
- No limits on gun sales of any kind. (Source: Fox Business Two-Tier 2016 GOP Primary Debate)
Additionally, here is a tweet that he sent out in September 2020:
SAVE YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT, VOTE TRUMP!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 20, 2020
What political positions are most important to you? Let us known in the comments below (and please keep it respectful).