How-To

How to Use Aquamira Water Treatment Drops

Picture shows two bottles, Part A and Part B of Aquamira's water treatment solution.

Potable water is a top priority during a natural disaster, survival situation or when traveling overseas. As campers, hikers, explorers, hunters and survivalists, we know how important it is to have a back-up water supply for when clean, drinkable water is not available. According to water.org, “only 10% of waste water gets treated. The rest goes into our lakes, rivers and oceans.” 19 million people a year in the United States get ill from drinking bad water. Ground water in any form from stagnant ponds to flowing white-water mountain rapids can harbor bacteria, viruses and parasites. Packing Aquamira’s chlorine dioxide water treatment drops guarantees safe drinking water when you have none.

Picture shows two bottles, Part A and Part B of Aquamira's water treatment solution.
Packing Aquamira’s chlorine dioxide water treatment drops guarantees safe drinking water when you have none.
The chemical chlorine dioxide is a bit deceptive, as there is no actual chlorine in the compound. Chlorine and chlorine dioxide have different chemical structures. In fact, chlorine dioxide has proven to be more effective in disinfecting water than chlorine. The chemical has been used in water treatment plants around the world since 1956.

Chlorine dioxide consists of one chlorine atom and two oxygen atoms. It acts as an excellent oxidizing agent by absorbing five electrons, as opposed to chlorine’s one. It will clean water of viruses, bacteria, and protozoa—including eliminating 99.9% of Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

Aquamira’s chlorine dioxide water treatment drops are EPA-registered, are iodine and chlorine-free, safe to use during pregnancy and treat all forms of water. Other advantages to chlorine dioxide is it remains stable, stays good for a long time, does not produce harmful bi-products, and neutralizes bad odors and tastes. You can also use the water treatment drops to improve the taste of your stored drinking water.

The two-part kit includes two, 1-ounce bottles, labeled A and B that treats up to 30 gallons of water. Part A contains 2% chlorine dioxide and Part B contains 5% phosphoric acid activator. Mixing A and B together in included mixing cap activates the chlorine dioxide, releasing oxygen and therefore killing bacteria. The mixture will turn yellow. This is the developing chlorine dioxide and the solution is not ready to use until you see the color change.

Instructions for use:

  1. Start with a clean water bottle or container that has a lid.
  2. Fill the bottle or container with water.
  3. Remove the mixing cap from solution A.
  4. Put 7 drops of solution A into the mixing cap.
  5. Put 7 drops of solution B into the mixing cap.
  6. Let the two solutions mix in the mixing cap for five minutes. The solution will go from clear to fluorescent yellow.
  7. Pour the mixed solution into a quart or liter of water you collected in a bottle.
  8. Put the lid on your water container and shake or stir it.
  9. Wait 15 minutes for the chlorine dioxide solution to disinfect the water.
  10. Drink!

[youtube http://youtu.be/ayeelduRC7I nolink] For water that is super cloudy or very cold, double the dose to 14 drops each of solution A and solution B, and double the wait time for a total of 10 minutes before dropping the solution into your water. If water is extremely questionable, let the solution sit in your water for four hours before drinking.

Do you have experience using water treatment drops? Tell us about it the comment section.

The Mission of Cheaper Than Dirt!'s blog, The Shooter's Log, is to provide information—not opinions—to our customers and the shooting community. We want you, our readers, to be able to make informed decisions. The information provided here does not represent the views of Cheaper Than Dirt!

1 Comment;

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit exceeded. Please click the reload button and complete the captcha once again.

Your discussions, feedback and comments are welcome here as long as they are relevant and insightful. Please be respectful of others. We reserve the right to edit as appropriate, delete profane, harassing, abusive and spam comments or posts, and block repeat offenders. All comments are held for moderation and will appear after approval.