Most Recent Posts

Picture is of a green and white logo for National Hunting and Fishing Day

Fishing

Conservation — Good Idea, Great Tradition

Over 100 years ago, hunters and anglers were the earliest and most vocal supporters of conservation and scientific wildlife management. They were the first to recognize that rapid development and unregulated uses of wildlife were threatening the future of many species. The fact that game numbers across the board are at all-time highs is the direct result of these early conservationists efforts. The biggest threat to the future of conservation is a future without hunters and anglers to continue the tradition.

Boone and Crockett position video on gun ownership

General

Boone & Crockett Club Releases Position Statement on Second Amendment

Knowing who stands with you often determines who are willing to stand with. The primary mission of every conservation organization is, as the name implies, conservation. Thus, it is understandable that donors from both sides of an issue may support an organization that remains focused on its mission and refrains from being to vocal when it comes to political views. That being said, when the Boone and Crockett Club recently released its position paper on the Second Amendment, gun control, and firearm ownership, its answer was firmly stated in the first line, “The Boone and Crockett Club supports the right of citizens to own and use firearms.”

Ammunition Alley

Ammunition

The Unintended Consequences of Ammo and Gun Hoarding

While supply and demand affected prices across the board for both guns and ammunition, there was a huge benefit derived that few of us realized. In the late 1930s, Congress passed the Pittman-Robertson Act, which has been modified and updated several times since to meet current needs. To be fair, the Act is an excise tax that benefits wildlife and conservation. Given the boom in firearm and ammunition sales, the funds collected via Pittman-Robertson shot up to whopping $824 million.

Hunting and Outdoors

Women Afield — Budget Friendly Hunting Options

Hunting can be expensive unless you check out these budget-friendly hunting options that help the DNR and local parks using reduction hunts. Check out your local parks to see if you can enjoy budget-conscious hunting deer and support a healthy eco-system at the same time.

Picture shows two tents pitched on the beach by a large body of water.

Camping & Survival

Leave it Like You Found It: Camping Responsibly

Camping, hiking and backpacking can have a detrimental impact on wildlife and vegetation. Studies throughout the United States have proven that trampling through the wilderness and camping have depleted trees, polluted fresh water systems, caused loss of vegetation and increased run off and erosion. According to Wilderness.net only 5% of the United States is protected wilderness. Which means the other 95% is open for development. As outdoorsmen and women, we can minimize our environmental impact by following best practices while enjoying the wide and wonderful outdoors. By practicing Leave No Trace’s Seven Principles, you will leave a minimal environmental impact while camping, hiking, backpacking, and hunting. When camping, I like to follow the rule of thumb: leave it the way you found it.