Optics Planet recently put together a zombie preparation kit. The Z.E.R.O (Zombie Extermination, Research, and Operations) kit can be yours for only $23,999.00! Packed with different items that Optics Planet believes you need to survive, you can purchase it all in one package, or each item individually. There is even a tongue-in-cheek sales video that entices you to buy. Their kit contains around 50 items, including reloading and laboratory equipment, because “if you want a safe world for your children and grandchildren you must find a cure. For this you need the best laboratory equipment.”
Optics Planet does not sell firearms, so they throw in some knives and a tacticool Battle Mug for your personal defense. Their kit includes the EoTech Zombie Stopper red dot sight and a few gun-specific items, such as the Glock Crimson Trace zombie laser and a light for a Benelli M1-M2 shotgun. What our competitor fails to do is include essential survival gear such as food and water. You aren’t going to last long in the zombie apocalypse without food and water. Not to mention a gun and some ammo.
I have analyzed Optics Planet Z.E.R.O. kit and have come up with my own that includes a
First off, you will need the Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12 gauge pump action shotgun with Stand-Off barrel. The breecher barrel doubles as a zombie head basher inner, or a door breecher. Load it with Hornady Zombie Z-MAX 00 Buckshot and you have the first line of defense.
For your other guns, I included a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight, a 1-4x24mm Millet DMS-1 tactical riflescope, the Safariland RLS Rapid Light System, and the LaserLyte K-15 Kryptonyte carbine green laser. With all these different optics, you are bound to have one shot, one kill in zombie land.
Other optics I included will help you do recon. The Bushnell 7x50mm Marine binoculars with built-in rangefinder and the Bushnell 20-60×60 Sportview spotting scope will allow you to see how many zombies and where they are coming from so you are prepared to fight. If you need to light up the night, the 210-lumens Streamlight Waypoint pistol grip spotlight illuminates up to 678 meters on high.
Optics Planet includes some very heavy reloading equipment that will be impossible to lug around with you, so I substituted the Lee Precision breech lock hand press kit. It includes the breech lock hand press, ram prime, powder funnel, case lube, and a breech lock quick-change bushing. Specifically designed to reload on the fly and easily transport, the Lee Precision hand press kit will get you through a bind.
Sharp-edged weapons work for severing heads and chopping firewood, clearing paths in the woods, and other general tasks. I have chosen the Ka-Bar Zombie Chop Stick fixed blade knife with a 9-inch plain blade. I had to throw something zombie-specific in there for good measure. The Ka-Bar Zombie Chop Stick has a “toxic green” GFN-PA66 handle and includes a smaller Acheron skeleton knife. The United Cutlery Bushmaster survival knife has a serrated spine, a 10-inch cast metal blade and holds a survival kit in the handle. Unscrew the butt cap with built-in compass to reveal a can opener, a sharpening stone, an animal snare, a snakebite kit, and a flashlight.
Optics Planet does make a good point about protective gear during the zombpoc. It’s true, you will need protection from bites and scratches, and be able to carry all the gear with you. The ModGear Tracker three-day assault pack is MOLLE compatible, as well is the ModGear plate carrier. On top of that, you will need a chest rig to hold your weapon’s magazines and a hydration pack. The military surplus goggles have clear and sunglass lenses that are sun, wind, and dust proof, and offer ballistic protection.
In my opinion, the most essential gear is the gear that Optics Planet left out. Instead of adding expensive night vision and thermal cameras, I have thrown affordable survival items, such as a 72-hour food kit, a ceramic filtered water bottle for drinking sketchy water, a sleeping bag, a tent, and stove in a can to heat your food. Besides that, I have chosen a lighter, a mess kit, the CRKT Eat’N tool, duct tape, wipes, rope, and a 72-hour personal survival kit that includes more food and emergency water.
For $2,367.89, you can choose my 45-item preparedness kit. There is more included than mentioned above. Here is the complete list:
- Leapers tactical bipod $23.46
- Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight $83.44
- Safariland RLS Rapid Light System $73.43
- 1-4x24mm Millet DMS-1 tactical riflescope $215.38
- MTM Case-Gard limited edition zombie ammo can $12.55
- Birchwood Casey Darkotic “Grounds Crew” 8-pack zombie gnomes targets $7.78
- Universal leg holster $19.97
- Bushnell 7x50mm Marine binoculars $148.87
- Bushnell 20-60x60mm Sportview spotting scope $89.53
- LaserLyte K-15 Kryptonyte carbine green laser $197.55
- Troy Industries VTAC wide padded sling $36.28
- KA-BAR Zombie Chop Stick fixed blade knife with 9-inch blade $47.26
- Bushmaster survival knife By United Cutlery $34.97
- ModGear Tracker three day assault Backpack $44.51
- 35-inch Bulldog Cases Extreme Tactical floating rifle case $28.04
- Hydration pack holds 100 ounces $39.97
- OTIS tactical cleaning system $41.54
- Lee Precision breech lock hand press kit $44.86
- Pelican 1610 case $175.71
- Surefire 123A six pack lithium batteries $16.97
- Brunton Inspire 3200 mAh power charger $43.90
- Leatherman Super Tool 300 multi tool with 19 tools $55.61
- S&W tactical survival and self-defense pen with fire starter $29.52
- Streamlight Waypoint pistol grip spotlight $56.94
- ModGear Black Modular Operator Plate Carrier $59.97
- Tactical Load Bearing Vest $29.97
- Bolle’ Military Surplus Goggles With Case $11.93
- BLACKHAWK! Aviator Fire and Slash Resistant Flight Ops Gloves with Kevlar $31.74
- Tactical Trauma first aid kit $29.97
- 72 Hour Kit Mountain House $49.97
- Aquamira Water Filter Straw $7.21
- 12 Gauge Hornady Zombie Z-MAX 00 Buckshot $10.29
- Mossberg 500 Cruiser Pump Action Shotgun $319.00
- Texsport Two Person Trail Tent 84-inch x 52-inch x 38-inch Camouflage $27.00
- Texsport Base Camp Sleeping Bag $28.00
- Blazer Scout Butane Lighter $11.01
- Stove In A Can Cooking Kit $24.97
- Texsport Five Piece Heavy Duty Aluminum Mess Kit $5.76
- CRKT Eat’N Tool $4.44
- 72 Hour Kit Single Person Survival Ark $24.97
- Coghlan’s Utility Cord 66′ $3.43
- Allen Camo Duct Tape $5.39
- Hunter’s Specialties Scent-A-Way Moist Towels 10″x12″ Package of 12 $8.89
- Stealth Cam Core Infared Game Camera $90.07
What else would you include? Tell me what I’ve left out in the comments section below.