Kel-Tec has released an update to its controversial new shotgun, the KSG. The revolutionary bull-pup design of this new offering combined with dual magazine tubes has gotten consumers quite excited to see it put into production, although there have been some setbacks. Initial prototypes had a trigger that would go “dead” if the action was cycled while the trigger was held back. Another complaint was that the chamber would only accept 2 3/4-inch shells.
Today Kel-Tec released a statement saying that, due to popular demand, the final KSG production models will feed 2 3/4-inch AND 3-inch shells. With 3-inch shells you can fit six in each tube, and one in the chamber. 6+6+1.
Other changes and fixes to the KSG include:
- Trigger reset. This will be adjusted in the production model so that you can hold the trigger down, pump back and forward, release, and then re-pull the trigger to fire the next round. No worrying about the trigger going dead, and no Pump-firing if you hold the trigger down.
- Pump lock switch. A new latch button is in the works that will allow the trigger finger to activate the pump lock without reaching in front of the trigger guard, and potentially getting pinched by the pump. Only the KSG in the law enforcement booth had a similar latch button, made out of welded steel, but the production model will be a polymer button pinned to the steel.
- A removable rail mounted hand-stop will be available (and probably included) to help alleviate fears of sliding your hand too far forward in front of the barrel.
- Indicator holes in the top of the magazine tubes so you can visually see when you have zero, one or two rounds left in a tube.
The following are accessories that will likely be offered after KSG production ramps up.
- Extended butt pads. This would be similar to the SU-16 extended pad. Remove some screws and replace the existing pad with the thicker pad.
- Choke adapter. remove the end muzzle nut, and replace with the choke adapter. this will extend a few inches in front of the existing barrel.
- Breacher attachment. Similar to the choke adapter, just designed for LE use as a door breacher.
- Single point sling mount.
Other rumors are circulating about certain models having an option that would automatically switch magazine tubes when one ran dry, although legal issues in some jurisdictions make this possibility unlikely to see full production. Kel-Tec is not dismissing the possibility, saying “Don’t lose hope on the auto-switch just yet…”