So far we’ve covered the installation of the magazine catch and bolt catch on your AR-15 lower. Today’s video describes how to install the front pivot pin. This particular piece is not terribly difficult to install, but we’ve still got some helpful tips for you.
If you’ve got a hex wrench about the size of your pivot pin it really helps with the installation.
- Insert the pivot pin spring into the receiver.
- Grip the detent with a pair of pliers.
- Press in the detent.
- Use a small brass punch to depress the detent.
- Use your hex wrench to keep the spring and detent depressed.
- Orient the pivot pin with the slot facing the detent.
- Press it into position while pressing the hex wrench out of the way.
- Make sure to apply consistent pressure to keep the detent from squeezing out between the hex wrench and the pivot pin.
- Attempt to rotate the pivot pin to check and see that the detent is holding it in place: the pivot pin should not be able to rotate.
Are you building your own AR-15? How is it going? Share in the comments section.