Warning Shot? No Way…

By Dave Dolbee published on in Concealed Carry

Despite what Joe Biden said when he recklessly recommended grabbing a double barrel shotgun and firing it in the air to scare off a would-be bad guy, warning shots only serve two purposes—getting you killed or killing the unlucky recipient of a stray bullet that should never have been fired in the first place.

Man lifting his shirt to show a concealed handgun

A gun for self-defense is an emergency tool, only to be employed as a last result in the most dire of situations. Most likely, we have all heard, and likely recited, the mantra “I’d rather have a gun and not need it than need and gun not have it.” Have truer words ever been spoken? I am not sure, but I am sure about warning shots and when not to use a gun.

Everyone who has been through a course for concealed carry, hunter safety, or basic firearm safety, knows that you never shoot a firearm unless you intend to destroy anything the bullet strikes. Likewise, we have all been taught to know our target and what’s behind it. A warning shot violates each of these tenants of firearm safety.

In addition to likely being illegal, what would you hope to accomplish with a warning shot? After all, merely pointing a firearm at an attacker provides about as much intimidation as a warning shot. However, once you fire off a shot, the dynamic changes and you will become the one accused of a crime and facing Lady Justice. You better be in the right and have done everything according to the law.

Firing a Shot

There is a time to fire your weapon, but when is key. For instance, you (or someone in your immediate vicinity) are being attacked, and you have a reasonable fear that the attacker will cause great bodily harm or death. However, even then, your response must be proportional and reasonable. The mere fact the someone said they are going to “kill you” with kindness, certainly would not be reasonable. Pulling out a gun because a little old lady kicked you in the shin would not be reasonable or proportional.

Proportional is rather easy for most to understand, but reasonable often gets people in trouble. Some people believe no one can read their mind, so simply stating they were afraid and in fear of their life will fulfill the reasonable standard and allow them to draw their weapon and maybe snap off a shot. Not true. There has also been more than person who has taken their cue from Hollywood and popped a round into the ceiling in an attempt to break up a rowdy crowd or fight. Neither of these scenarios would pass the reasonable person standard.

drawing a pistol from a concealed position

The presentation from concealed carry should be practiced often.

Brandishing

Brandishing is another no-no. If you draw your firearm, be prepared to use it. Pulling up your shirt or opening the flap of your jacket to show you are packing will earn you a one-way ticket to the Gray Bar Hotel—if you are lucky. If you are unlucky, someone is going to observe your attempted bravado and beat you to the draw… Remember, good guys use a firearm as a last resort to preserve life (yours and the innocents around you); bad guys use firearms to intimidate and take life.

Have a Plan

When you are already faced with a situation where you may have to deploy your firearm is not the time to have a debate in your head about whether you are in a shoot/don’t shoot scenario. You certainly do not want, “Hmmm… will I get in trouble if I shoot the creep?” running through your mind. Those questions should have been answered long ago. You should already have several action plans, covering a multitude of senarios worked out.

International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) shoots at a local gun club or range are excellent places to work through many of these issues. IDPA shoots present you with multiple scenarios meant to mimic real life situations you could face, and include live fire using a concealed firearm. Purpose driven classes from credible trainers are another recommended method for developing your self-defense plan and knowing when to use your firearm, but warning shots… Warning shots are not a strategy or a tool in the toolbox.

What other tips would recommend for self-defense situations? Share your answer in the comment section.

Tags: ,

• tcassem

In some circles, police departments are thinking about bringing back warning shots. Talk about stupid.

• Joe Cooper

My first three warning shots are going to be in the chest. If that does not get your attention, I’m going to continue shooting until it does. You never pull a gun or branish a gun unless you intend to destroy something.

• Raymond

Exposing a handgun while in it’s holster is not “brandishing”.

If it is legal to carry unconcealed, it is legal to uncover it.

• todd gaborick

Simple rule, if you’re going to pull it you’re going to use it. PERIOD!!! If at home it’s the same and here different situations warrant different responses but out as a CCW it’s pull it use it.

• Griz44Mag

Brandishing is the act of withdrawing you weapon. Exposing your weapon, at least here in Texas is perfectly legal since a license holder in this state can carry open. A recent incident at Wally World here convinced me of the reason one might expose, but not brandish. I left the store and as I was loading groceries into my care a young lady come hustling up beside me and stopped and asked that I just stand with her a minute. Looking toward the store there were two young hoodlums approaching. I turned toward them and one of them speaking very loudly asked “What do you think you are going to do old man? Move out of the $%&^ way.”
    I lifted my shirt and tucked the tail behind the holster holding the shiny Colt 45. I never said a word. They hustled off to their ragged out while I pulled out my cell phone took their picture, then called 911. There is a place for exposing, but probably not brandishing except in very few case. Be ready, always, but only take the necessary level of action, never go overboard. And beyond all else, KNOW THE LAWS IN YOUR STATE.

• Bruce

I must agree. Several years ago, I had to go to the supermarket in the middle of the night. Upon returning to my vehicle, I observed a male subject walking out of the dark directly at me. There were no other vehicles around mine and plenty of room for him to take a wide path. Once I saw him I stopped for a moment and made eye contact. I then said “stop, don’t come over here”. He quickened his pace and then I said, “motherfucker, stay back”. He continued directly toward me so I raised my shirt and placed my hand on my pistol. He saw that and stopped abruptly and turned and ran. You can call it brandishing or the first step in self defense but I didn’t need to shoot anyone and this guy may be less likely to approach people with bad intent in the future. I consider brandishing a boastful act intended to show superiority without a real threat. I consider what I did was the least amount of action I could take without using deadly force.

• svtCobra

@ Griz44Mag,
      You did not brandish, you displayed.

Brandishing a Weapon Definition. Under California Penal Code 417, it is unlawful for you to draw or exhibit a deadly weapon in a rude, angry, or threatening way in the presence of another person and not in self defense or in defense of someone.

You merely displayed your weapon, you were not rude, angry, or threatening. Brandish laws are aimed at hotheads in escalating verbal fights or it traffic.

(Good job saving the lady btw)

• bronzedraagon18

Yup.

• Nealstar

“tenants” are people who occupy places. The word you want is “tenet” which is a principle or belief. Sorry, but I’m a grammar snob. Good information though.

• Bob Shirley

Author is correct about “warning shots”, but off base on “brandishing”, which may or may not be recognized in a given jurisdiction. In Texas, displaying a handgun (brandishing) or even pointing it a someone is permissible if it is reasonable and justified. Which is good law. You don’t have to wait to become a victim yo deploy your gun.

• MDB66

Firing a warning shot being in the air or into the ground has to be one of the dumbest things Biden ever said. As stated in this article the danger of accidentally hitting an innocent bystander alone should be enough for you not to do it. In the early ’80’s I was living in Germany. A friend of mine was a local Police Officer, he would laugh about American movies when a Police Officer or anyone would fire a shot in the air and yell at a criminal or someone else halt or I’ll shoot or anything like that. He would say in Germany it would go down a lot different as the Officer would shoot the criminal and then say halt or I’ll shoot you again. He would ask us why you would warn them and in the process give them both your position and a chance to shoot you first. He said they were taught that if they fired their weapon it damn well better be necessary and sure as hell better have been at the criminal and that if they missed they would be spending a lot of time at the range for a long time after that. I actually learned a lot from the German Police and Military and even more from the Israelis about weapon safety and proper use and techniques.

• Aardvark

MDB66 – I’m not sure you are correct; Biden has said many dumb things!

• 70's Ops

I am a firm believer that “warning shots” be directed center mass, for best results.