Video: Crimson Trace Myth Busters — Will the laser be a crutch?

By Dave Dolbee published on in How To, Videos

Laser myths. After nearly 25 years, Crimson Trace has most likely heard them all. Whether it involves the failure of the laser system itself, incorrect ideas about training, or lasers being replacements for iron sights, which they are not, there is plenty of false information about lasers available online, in stores, or on the range. You may have heard a few yourself. Are lasers a crutch for bad technique?

Laser sights are not designed or intended to be a replacement for your iron sights. Laser sights provide quick, clear sighting during threat-focused shooting, in unconventional positions, and in low-light conditions where iron sights are not visible or applicable. A laser sight is essentially a downrange projection of where your pistol sights are already aligned.

Do you use a laser for training? What do you think of the ball and dummy drill? Share your answers in the comment section.

Growing up in Pennsylvania’s game-rich Allegany region, Dave Dolbee was introduced to whitetail hunting at a young age. At age 19 he bought his first bow while serving in the U.S. Navy, and began bowhunting after returning from Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Dave was a sponsored Pro Staff Shooter for several top archery companies during the 1990s and an Olympic hopeful holding up to 16 archery records at one point. During Dave’s writing career, he has written for several smaller publications as well as many major content providers such as Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Outdoor Life, Petersen’s Hunting, Rifle Shooter, Petersen’s Bowhunting, Bowhunter, Game & Fish magazines, Handguns, F.O.P Fraternal Order of Police, Archery Business, SHOT Business, OutdoorRoadmap.com, TheGearExpert.com and others. Dave is currently a staff writer for Cheaper Than Dirt!

View all articles by Dave Dolbee

Tags: , ,

• Martin

I have CT lasers on 1911 and 357 LCR, love them, especially the green on 45. A railpro on a SIG, not so much. Holsters can limit options on rail unit and activation isn’t as intuitive.
    I sight laser just below iron sight picture, not distracting, and reassuring to see if needed. Never been a distraction to my shooting and helped connect with quick moving ‘coon one night on porch, so more positive for me.

• Marvin Von Renchler

Two trains of thought here. 1. They are excellent in low level light. In one case I had a lot of rats on the property and had to stand in the dark–couldn’t see my iron sights. it was perfect just to see the laser shine in the fur and touch one off. I can see how in a night firefight with adversaries bouncing around objects to hide, etc that you could shoot faster than trying to line up your irons on them. Also, my old eyes are failing and the laser will probably end up being my only way of accurately shooting.That said,

2. I train to never depend on them. As others have said, batteries, simple failure, unable to hold the firearm in a way that would turn it on AND it can trace someone back to you! I had one on an HK-94 and used to like to time shoot small targets as rapidly as possible just for fun. just touch it with a laser and fire. I don’t have one on my main carry and probably wouldn’t in general. Maybe a night camping trip etc.

• Spencer

For me it’s no different that when I use iron sights shooting “timed fire” when shooting “Bullseye” competition. I’ve always called it “pass shooting”. It’s been a long time since I’ve done this but it works perfect for me. Except with a laser, it’s easier for me to get correct sight alignment. I time it so the front sight or laser sight line up with the bullseye the same time as I let a round off. It took a bit of practice for me back in the day, but it still feels natural for me to shoot using this technique.

• David Blackmon

Lasers are good for several things. They are great for quick response on-target training (firing with or with no ammo). And they are great at pissing off my neighbor when I light up his bedroom window at night. (not with the weapon laser on the weapon) :)

• Randy Donk

I personally find lasers worse than useless on a weapon. If I were vision impaired perhaps, but I find Tritium sights are not bulky, are always on, since they are incorporated into the iron sights, they work in daylight. They do not give away your position and last, but not least, the “batteries” do not fail at the critical moment when you need them most. as far as ball and dummy training, I ONLY use that when training a new shooter on magnum revolvers to show flinching, I load a box of ammo with a few of them having an inert primer (anvil and priming compound removed) and no powder. they look the same as the other ammo. I regularly practice “point” shooting. this technique is as effective as a laser without the hassle. it is ammo intensive, but the solution to being an excellent handgun shot is practice. I can effectively put rounds on target from any awkward shooting position and am not dependent on a laser, which in my personal experience is a poor excuse for lack of training.

• HW Stone

One place the laser is a great help is in early pistol training.

Explain how the sights are aligned, then turn on a laser set up to be dead center over the front sight when the sights are properly aligned.

Let them fire a couple of rounds that way, then turn off the laser and continue. It simply gives them a good reference to see that “if you align the sights correctly the impact will be on the targe.” No magic, just an easy way to see how that system works.