Understanding Handgun Sights

By Bob Campbell published on in Gun Gear, Safety and Training

I have noticed that discussions on combat sights, combat shooting, and handguns are often hi-jacked by those with an embarrassing lack of experience. All they know is what they have read and much of that isn’t accurate. A shooter should study, true, but they should also gain practical experience and meet the instructor half way with this experience.

Colt Single Action Army revolver and 1911 pistol with ivory grips

Service pistols of the past featured smaller sights. The Colt, bottom, is a modern 1911 with superior sights. The old Colt would stay on a war pony at 100 yards.

An instructor who recommends not using the sights in a personal defense scenario or recommends off the wall or less reliable handguns isn’t doing you any favors. Chances are, his handgun is loaded with an off brand, trendy ammunition with serious deficiencies. i.e. it isn’t service grade and proven—along with the handgun—in serious agency testing. It should be a combination that has fired 20,000 trouble-free rounds is service grade and good enough for you and I. The load of the moment in the newest Glock clone isn’t in the same league.

When attempting to have an intelligent discussion concerning combat sights, I have actually been confronted with ‘no-one uses their sights in combat.’ My counter is, “The ones that hit do!” Everyone in my circle of friends that has ‘been there and done it,’ has used their sights. They have a vivid memory of using their sights to aim. The ones that missed do not.

On a related subject, I recently heard a comment at a gun shop that a fellow missed a deer at about 30 feet with a shotgun! Something is definitely wrong. Maybe it was nerves. God help him if the deer could shoot back. Let’s not get into fairy tales concerning those who shoot without using their sights. They are in a league with the so-called stopping power studies and those who shoot tethered goats. They are shills, fairy tales promoted by rascals to impress fools.

TruGlo fiber optic and tritium pistol sight combination above

Note the TruGlo fiber optic and tritium combination—the best of both worlds.

I have studied the subject for many years. As a peace officer, I walked the line and was involved in more than one incident—including a rather hairy ordeal in which a single shot solved the problem. It was delivered at 15 yards with a pistol equipped with self-luminous iron sights. This tends to color your thinking.

The justice system is a tightrope walked by us all, and it is the difference between always fulfilling your wishes and social responsibility. Those without social responsibility are often violent. It is best to be prepared. Every incident is different and the more versatile the sights chosen, the better you may be prepared.

A target sight is specialized. A big dot sight is equally specialized. Something more versatile is needed. My experience includes many thousands of rounds of ammunition expended over more than four decades of shooting handguns in realistic drills. While no one seems to have the perfect training system for combat shooting, the persons who constantly train and use good equipment are more likely to survive a critical incident. Prior training and regular practice are the most reliable predictors of survival in a critical incident.

TruGlo front pistol sight

TruGlo offers a combination of fiber optics and tritium.

Sights keep the shooter from missing the target. I would not wish to be the instructor asked to testify in a wrongful death suit who must tell the judge that I trained the student not to use their sights. I think the legal definition for deliberate indifference may apply to such training.

The sights should be used. Exceptions are very close range—3 yards or so. In these cases, the body of the handgun should be used as an index in meat and paper drills. The slide or cylinder covers the target and you fire.

I practice precision fire often. I make a perfect sight alignment and press the trigger. At close ranges, sometimes a fast but smooth press and superimposing the front sight on the target very quickly works. Using the sights consistently requires the shooter to train to draw, get on target, and get a very fast sight picture. This means that situational awareness must be in place, and you are prepared to respond to the attack.

The sights must be high visibility and easily acquired quickly. Regular practice is the most important component of competency. Situational awareness is vital because a surprise attack will cancel out training, save for the most rigorous training.

Modern night sights are excellent for personal defense use.

Modern night sights are excellent for personal defense use.

The design of the sights is important. I think that the classic Smith and Wesson orange insert revolver sight is a good sight for most uses. It is accurate for close range defensive encounters and accurate in the precise sense at longer range. The sights must be large enough, and they should have a contrast of some type with white dots on a black sight the baseline.

Bright orange front sights are better. The fiber optics used in the Ruger GP 100 3-inch barrel .44 Special are excellent. This is a sight that has proven accurate well past 50 yards but is brilliantly fast at moderate range.

Tritium night sights are a good choice for a personal defense handgun. The tritium vials, however, are not large enough on their own to provide a rapid sight acquisition and must be surrounded by another material. TruGlo uses fiber optic sights to surround tritium and this comes out well.

I like the single front dot for many conditions. This makes for brilliantly fast work and aids keeping both eyes open. Be certain to practice dry fire with a triple-checked unloaded pistol, and be certain you understand the sight picture you will have with the night sight of your choice. Practice constantly, keep your eyes on the target, and you will get a hit. Only a lack of practice will hinder your marksmanship.

What is your opinion on the use of handgun sights? Do you practice using them in self-defense drills or do you subscribe to point and shoot theories? Which sights do you prefer on your carry or home defense handguns? Share your answers in the comment section.

Bob Campbell is a former peace officer and published author with over 40 years combined shooting and police and security experience. Bob holds a degree in Criminal Justice. Bob is the author of the books, The Handgun in Personal Defense, Holsters for Combat and Concealed Carry, The 1911 Automatic Pistol, The Gun Digest Book of Personal Protection and Home Defense, The Shooter’s Guide to the 1911, The Hunter and the Hunted, and The Complete Illustrated Manual of Handgun Skills. His latest book is Dealing with the Great Ammo Shortage. He is also a regular contributor to Gun Tests, American Gunsmith, Small Arms Review, Gun Digest, Concealed Carry Magazine, Knife World, Women and Guns, Handloader and other publications. Bob is well-known for his firearm testing.

View all articles by Bob Campbell

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Tags: , , , , , ,

• Terry Nixon

For many of my 28 years in law enforcement I carried a model 66 S&W with night sites on it when they were only available by special order from one company. They DO work. In qualification we had to fire at targets that were dimly illuminated from a position with no light. I could consistently hit. I have had Sig semi autos, and S&W Semi autos with night sites and recently got a Springfield with same. With my aging eyes, one of the worst set of sites to pick-up is the factory set on my Beretta 92FS.

• Jim Guigli

I now prefer Trijicon XR sights. My two GLOCKS (30 & 36) have the narrow yellow front sight with the U-notch rear sight. They are fixed but shoot a variety of .45 ACP to the same spot within 25 yards.
    My worst pistol is a new S&W 642 with sights that are almost unusable.

• johnny

Mr Campbell, thank you sir for telling like it is and not sugar coating it to save from hurt feelings of those up and coming know it alls. Your straight forward common sense and many years of real world experience shared here, will undoubtedly not only result in many more hits on target, but saved lives as well.

• meanstreak

Sig’s x-ray 3 sights work perfect for me . They came from the factory on my legion and 365, I am going to put them on my 320. The big dot bright green front really grabs the eye. I can and have used just about every sight out there but the x-rays are my favorite so far.

• Grant Ripley

I think that this is some good stuff, but where can one practice more realistic drills? Most if not all of my local ranges are indoors. The few outdoor ranges aren’t conducive. I think the private clubs might offer something, and there are some 3-4 day classes that offer realistic training but not sure how much is ‘sight specific’. I have access to private land out in the boonies.

So i probably have a place but where do i find the training exercises ? Like a lot of people i can shoot paper. But i really want to know how to use my pistol safely, comfortably and w confidence.

• 70's Ops

I shoot a Canik TP9SA. The factory sights are dotted with a center line (lollipop) on the rear sight. I very carefully set a large bubble of glow paint on all the markings. They work great, but I also have a reflex red-green dot sight. The mount allows me to use my factory sights also, and places the focal line above my suppressor. Very sweet set up and ridiculously accurate.
    As far as using them ALL the time. It situationally differs. Up to around 10 feet I’m very practiced at “draw and fire”. Center mass is pretty easy at that range. I’ll snap off a couple quick hip shots, then aim for a couple more. Seems to be a little more real world response to me.
    I guess its a time thing. If you have time to aim, then by all means, aim. However, if things unfold in a way that leaves you no time, having a well practiced “quick draw” or as I call them, snap shot, can be the difference between life and death. It also keeps you from sending rounds downrange willy-nilly.
    Anybody that has read any of my posts, knows I preach “real world” scenarios for practice. Sure, keep your marksmanship skills sharp with typical paper target shooting, but don’t limit yourself, or the types of situations you can respond to. Shoot on the move, crouched, moving to both strong and weak sides. With and WITHOUT sights. Be prepared for as many different situations as you can, or that is practical for your range.
    Stay safe!!

As always
    Carry on

• CPOUSNRET

Well said. A shooter who can anticipate his environment or his situation is always one shot ahead of his advisory.

Bill

• Michael OMalley

Great article! I was first taught to use my front sight, the weirdly point then pull with the middle finger and never lose you front sight.

This is a great article. Thanks.

• Aaron Stoner

What’s are reputable ammunition brands to use? And is it alright to use cheaper brands for target practice?

• RKC

Aaron
      Thanks for reading. As for ammunition selection look to the big federal agencies ammunition selection program. The Ohio State Patrol, also, a few years ago conducted a test in which 228,000 rounds were fired without a single ammunition failure. Winchester and Speer loads. Federal Cartridge Company has many contracts, and the French fired some 700,000 rounds in selecting their SIG pistols, using Speer/Federal and CCI loads. In 1916 Winchester won a US Army contract that specified one failure to fire in 100,000 rounds- the standard is higher now. These programs and contracts have a great deal of validity.

• RKC

Also do not forget the Black Hills Ammunition military contracts for their first class sniper loads.
      Hornady is also a company with an excellent reputation.

• Elton P.. Green

Mr. Campbell is dead on. Pistols and revolvers have sights for a reason. They should be used. “Aim small; miss small” is a statement that goes all the way back to the Revolutionary War, and is still valid today. I would go a little farther. I have adjustable sights on all my handguns. Fixed sights are only good for one load; the one that shoots to point of aim. Adjustable sights let me adjust for whatever load is accurate in a particular weapon. That means when the sights are aligned, the round impacts where the gun is aimed, not to the side or high or low, but within one or one and a half inch of point of aim. This helps to eliminate peripheral hits which might not be incapacitating. I think that not using sights is a little like trying to drive without the steering wheel. It can be done, but its foolish. By the way, I spent 20 years in the US Army teaching pistol and rifle marksmanship. Failure to acquire your sights while trying to qualify with the pistol meant not qualifying. Point shooting works for most people only at very close range, and requires thousands of rounds of practice to perfect. Sights work for anyone.

• sls4ak

I can’t fault any conclusions from this article. The sights on some revolvers, baffle me wide front blades with no contrast between front and rear sights, how is a shooter to determine where they are aiming?