Review: Smith and Wesson Model 649 — S&W’s Best Snubbie

By Dave Dolbee published on in Firearms, General, Reviews

Smith and Wesson has earned an enviable reputation for quality revolvers well suited to personal defense. The small five-shot revolver is among its most popular handguns, with the Model 649 carrying honors as the best of Smith and Wesson’s snubbie lineup.

Smith and Wesson 649 .357 Magnum right Smith and Wesson 649 left

The SW 649 is slightly larger than the SW 442, but much easier to use well and more accurate. There is a weight penalty, but the author finds it worthwhile.

The Smith and Wesson Chief’s Special was its first, compact, .38 Special five shooter. There had been small .32 and .38 short revolvers, but the Chief’s Special became a baseline for personal defense revolvers for many years. This makes more than 70 years of continuous production, including steel frame and aluminum frame variations, and in recent years revolvers in .357 Magnum.

A popular idiom, introduced a few decades ago, is a 3-inch barrel variant of the Chief’s Special .38. With more weight and balance than the typical 2-inch barrel snub nose revolver, this revolver points well and is easier to use well because of its longer sight radius. The 3-inch barrel has been offered in both square and round butt configurations. Modern J frame revolvers are manufactured with a round butt grip.

When Smith and Wesson introduced the Model 60 .357 Magnum revolver on the J frame, I was surprised. I did not think the revolver would be controllable. After firing the type extensively, I found the steel frame Model 60 a handful, but the overall geometry and grip design made for better control that I imagined.

front sight on a revolver

The front sight is low profile but affords a good sight picture.

The revolver isn’t for the slightly interested but it is viable. With dedication and practice, the revolver is suitable for concealed carry. The overwhelming advantage is the power of the .357 Magnum cartridge. Many concealed carry permit holders load their .357 Magnum revolvers with .38 Special ammunition. This allows for a heavier revolver that offers better balance and less recoil than the typical lightweight .38 Special revolver. This isn’t a bad program with modern .38 Special +P loads. However, if you are willing to master the formidable .357 Magnum cartridge you will be as well armed as possible with a handgun.

The revolver is often carried in a pocket or as a backup revolver concealed on the body. The concealed hammer Smith and Wesson revolvers have the advantage of a snag-free design. As an added advantage, the humpback frame seems to help control recoil in a superior manner. Still, there are some of us whom prefer a revolver with a single action option. This is particularly true of those who that use the revolver as a field and trail gun.

The 3-inch barrel .357 Mangum is well suited to field and trail use for defense against reptiles or feral dogs. The .38 Special shot shell is one load that is useful for dusting off reptiles, but heavy JHP loads delivered in the coils are effective as well. The single action option, offering precise fire, is desirable when the threat is beyond the usual conversational range.

rear sight on the Smith and Wesson 649 .357 Magnum

The rear sight is snag free but makes for a good sight picture.

In the late 1950s, Smith and Wesson introduced the Smith and Wesson BodyGuard. This is a variation on the concealed hammer revolver with an opening in the shroud to allow cocking the hammer for single-action fire. While manipulation isn’t difficult, lowering the hammer if you have not fired requires concentration. Be certain to practice this manipulation with an unloaded firearm.

The Smith and Wesson J frame Model 649 .357 Magnum is a .357 Magnum BodyGuard type revolver. The revolver weighs about 24 ounces loaded, so it is a little heavier than most .38 Special revolvers. The barrel is 2.125 inches long. This is slightly longer than the typical 1.9-inch Chief’s Special barrel, but it offers a little extra weight.

The revolver features a smooth action. The Smith and Wesson action allows the technique known as stacking. The trigger is pressed to the rear smoothly, and the hammer is held momentarily while the sight picture is affirmed and the trigger is then pressed through, making for good accuracy.

Hammer on the Smith and Wesson Model 649

While the hammer is nicely shrouded, the hammer may be cocked manually for precise single-action fire.

A trained shooter will be able to hit a threat in the chest well past 20 yards. The grips absorb recoil well. Overall, the revolver is user friendly.

I began my evaluation with the Federal 129-grain Hydra-Shok. At about 1,000 fps this is a strong load with a good balance of expansion and penetration. This is a controllable load, well suited to personal defense. Firing in the single-action mode, I was able to strike small targets well past 20 yards. This is a pleasant revolver to fire with .38 Special loads.

.357 Magnum loads are more interesting to say the least. The Federal 125-grain jacketed hollow point will break 1,220 fps from the Model 649—down considerably from its 1,420 fps in a4- inch barrel revolver, but much stronger than the .38 Special +P. When you fire this load a strong hold-the Gorilla grip-is demanded. The barrel bolts into the air with each shot. It requires consistent practice with the correct technique to master this revolver. The payoff is excellent wound ballistics.

The exposed lead nose of the Federal hollowpoint expands well and in some cases spins off fragments. The Smith and Wesson 649 .357 Magnum fills my needs well. I often carry it in a Lobo Gun Leather rear clip IWB holster in good comfort.

The balance of this revolver is excellent, and the revolver is very fast into action. Shoot the elbow to the rear, come up from under the revolver, scoop the revolver out of the holster and drive it toward the target. Get the front sight on target, press the trigger, and you have a hit. The Smith and Wesson 649 is a formidable revolver will worth its price.

Do you have a favorite snubnose revolver? Is it the Smith and Wesson 649? Share your pick in the comment section.

Bob Campbell is a former peace officer and published author with over 40 years combined shooting and police and security experience. Bob holds a degree in Criminal Justice. Bob is the author of the books, The Handgun in Personal Defense, Holsters for Combat and Concealed Carry, The 1911 Automatic Pistol, The Gun Digest Book of Personal Protection and Home Defense, The Shooter’s Guide to the 1911, The Hunter and the Hunted, and The Complete Illustrated Manual of Handgun Skills. His latest book is Dealing with the Great Ammo Shortage. He is also a regular contributor to Gun Tests, American Gunsmith, Small Arms Review, Gun Digest, Concealed Carry Magazine, Knife World, Women and Guns, Handloader and other publications. Bob is well-known for his firearm testing.

View all articles by Bob Campbell

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Tags: , , , , , ,

• cisco kid

I wish they would bring back the original .38 special body guard. It was smaller than the .357 bodyguard now being produced and lighter in weight especially the rare one made with an aluminum frame.

• Nicholas Victor perusina

I have been carrying the S&W 940 for years. I had it as a back-up when I was working because my duty weapon was a 9mm, so I always had ammunition available. Great little weapon for concealed carry even today.

• Taylor D.

I like my 442 a lot, put old magna grips with the tyler t on it, its a handful to shoot though. It sees a lot less carry now then the shield and the cm9, but is still the go too pocket carry piece.
    Nice article, thanks.

• Roy Payne

I have a Ruger LCR 327 magnum 6 shot revolver with laser sights. I’m impressed with the smooth trigger pull of this pistol, and love the caliber.I am a 21 year police veteran and have owned numerous S&W revolvers, but I still favor the Ruger LCR over the Smiths.

• Louis V

I always worried about the .357 or .38+P loads coming out of a 2″ barrel not burning all their powder, not getting the full fps, not penetrating fully and lastly not fully expanding.

• Alexander Joaquin

I have this snub nose SW model 19, 2&half inches
    Barrel. My wife use it for home defense loaded with Hornady 38+p 125gr.XTP. Bought around 1975 brand new. I take of it very gentle rarely used 357 AMMO for target shooting due strong kick or recoil. I believe 38+p AMMO is good enough for my wife bedside home defense. What’s your opinion sir? Is model 19 is the same as model 60?.first & foremost I enjoy reading your article every opportunity I got. Thank you sir. God bless you & keep up those excellent informative articles.

• RK Campbell

Sir,
      Thanks for reading. Your comments mean a lot to me.

The Model 19 is a six shot medium frame, the Model 60, a five shot small frame. .38 Special +P is a formidable load. This is an excellent revolver.
      Take care
      Bob Campbell

• Alan Carnell

I have a 442, it has a tough trigger pull, has good accuracy close in but the S & W service has turned me off their products.

Their doing unauthorized work on my weapon and then failing to disclose what they and why smacks of a problem in their smith department or whatever fancy PC name thay give it today.

Ruger, ladies and gentlemen, I have three, two purchased after the S & W debacle. Wonderful weapons, function great and service unequaled except maybe by Lexus. Sorry I digress there.

Alan

• Grigori Rasputin

Alan, sadly, like many other places and things, Smith and Wesson’s QC and/or Customer Service has been dumbed down to the point of ridiculousness. I have owned and carried J-frame revolvers for over forty years. In the 1970’s, I shot some well out to fifty yards and beyond. These days, if a revolver hits the target at ten yards (seriously!?!?!???), S&W deems it to have met their “standard” and absolutely will not do anything to correct sighting issues with a defective gun. I find this shameful and disappointing in that I now have a practically new 442 that I am not confident with out to 25 yards. I have another, purchased in 2013, that is accurate to 25 yards and beyond. It is sad that this once-great gun maker’s “standards” have fallen so low.

• Chuck in MO

Ah, Smith & Wesson. . . . They aren’t what they used to be, that’s for certain. Their new pistols, whether the cheaper SD series or the M&Ps, are poorly designed and they don’t regulate the sights well before they go out the door. The SD40-VE I have shot 3″ to the left at 30′. I drifted the sight with a punch and fixed that. All of their current pistols have lousy triggers and when buying one, most people at the gun shops will recommend that you replace them with an Apex or other trigger. The feedramps also are not polished and will accumulate a good deal of lead or jacket metal over a good session at the range. The biggest gripe that I have with all of them, the M&P/Shields included, is that they seemed to have not wanted to spend a few extra cents on each gun and mill the all-important recoil spring retention recess into the face of the barrels’ recoil lug. This allows the spring to “go on a walkabout” and get out of alignment. This has tied the gun up (locked up solid) TWICE in the past year and when I disassembled it this past week, it was almost slid off to the right. I am VERY careful about its’ alignment when I put the gun back together! WILL NOT carry it for any life-saving purposes! It is going away.

I was going to go back to Glock, but once I picked up a Springfield XD series they became my new go-to guns. I have two; an XD9 Mod 2 /4.0 in 9mm and an XDs 3.3″ in .45 ACP. great sights (fiber optic fronts), wonderful triggers, hit where you aim them and that very thoughtful addition of the grip safety – a great idea for when you’re re-holstering; just shift your grip back on the butt. I carry the 9mm with any of the following: Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P, MagTech Guardian Gold 115gr. +P OR 124gr., or Federal 124gr. HST. The Federal Hydra-Shok 135gr. Low Recoil load is also good from a 4″ barrel, but be aware that current Hydra-Shok loadings are very much hit-and-miss performance-wise. Sad; 25 years ago or so they were outstanding. In the .45 I carry either Winchester Silvertip 185gr., MagTech Guardian Gold 185gr. +P or the Federal HST.

I have done pretty extensive testing of defensive handgun ammo in .380, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP over the past 10 months and have found many absolutely worthless loads (Browning BXP, some Hydra-Shoks, Hornady Critical Duty and some others) and some VERY good ones. Send an email address (anybody reading this) and I will send what I have observed and learned. My email: cntmoore@hotmail.com

• Charlie

Personally, I much prefer my 4″ and 6″ Smith 586’s. I shot my son-in -law’s lightweight hammerless S&W snub nosed 38cal. once — no thanks is all I can say. Anyway, here in NJ with our gun laws those type small guns do not make much sense.

• Sam

I have several S&W short-barrel revolvers (and a few long-barrel revolvers as well), and am quite experienced shooting them. I especially like my Model 60 and my Model 66. My Model 60 was my on-duty backup piece, which I carried in my weak-side pocket. But my favorite short-barrel revolver these days is my Kimber K6s .357 magnum, which I now carry as my backup piece. I have found Buffalo Bore ammo (in .357 mag & .38 Special +P) to be some of the most potent ammo available for use in these relatively small revolvers. Shooting double-action only is no problem if you know (and practice) the right shooting technique, known today as “stacking.” I was taught this trigger control technique many years ago when the big-city P.D. I was on at the time “fixed” all their issued revolvers (Model 15 Smiths) to only function DA, as a result of a shooting incident were an officer accidentally discharged his cocked revolver. The way I was taught “stacking” was to extend your finger through the trigger guard a bit more than usual so when depressing the trigger the tip of your finger hitting the trigger guard acts as sort of a trigger stop, just before you follow through to the discharge point. Sounds complicated but it’s not. After you acquire the “feel” of it, and with practice, it’s quite easy to be quick and accurate when wanting to shoot double-action. And works quite well with small DA-only revolvers which are designed for close-in defense, rather than being just target shooters.

• Sam

Interestingly, my relatively new DA-only Smith M&P .40 has this trigger control “feel” built-in, so you know when it is about to discharge. Handy to know when target shooting, but probably moot when shooting in an emergency defensive situation.

• DaveW

Love my S&W Model 60 (no dash/no number) .38Spl.

Friends say it is underpowered. They are wrong. The majority of shooting are close range (3-7′ with a max of around 10′) Within that range, a .38Spl will do what it is intended to do. (Even a .380 will work within those ranges.)