Lawmakers Regulate Firearm Accessory Manufacturer Out of Business

By Dave Dolbee published on in Gun Gear, Legal

It is a shame when any firearm or accessory manufacturer has to close its doors. Colt went through its problems and Remington from its losses. We can armchair quarterback what each company did right or wrong, but in the end, it was the decisions of each company’s leadership that was ultimately responsible. Today’s tale is different. Slide Fire is set to announce that it will permanently cease all operations and sales on May 25. Was this due to poor decisions by its leaders? I would certainly say. More likely, Slide Fire’s demise is being caused by politicians in response to the actions of one person, the Las Vegas Massacre shooter.

Slide Fire Logo

During the October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas, the shooter was reported to have used a bump fire-style stock on one or more of the firearms used. Although hundreds of thousands of bump fire systems have been sold, and only one recorded criminal act was purportedly committed using the system, politicians across the nation—including President Trump—have sought to outlaw the equipment.

The Blame Game

In discussions with my non-gun owning friends, I have often pointed out the error of blaming the equipment and not the evil actions of the person committing the act. I can make dozens of comparisons, for example, we do not blame the car when a person drives drunk; we blame the driver. However, when discussing bump fire stocks with fellow gun owners, I occasionally hear arguments such as how bump fire systems are a waste of expensive ammunition or that they do not care because they do not own a bump fire system, so they are not concerned with the regulation. This is a misguided attitude. What happens when politicians come for a gun or accessory you do care about?

Florida recently passed a law banning any accessory that increases the firearms rate of fire. Does that mean any trigger job or short reset trigger is now illegal? Some Florida politicians have admitted the legislation was rushed and needs to be fixed, but once enacted, gun regulations are seldom altered. Do you really believe the Florida politicians will proceed with the same haste to make the corrections as they did to enact the infringing law?

Anti-Knife March

After years of firearms bans in Britain, crimes and killings with knives have reached epidemic levels in Great Britain.

Conclusion

If one piece of equipment can be outlawed due to a single heinous act, or even the actions of a few bad actors, where will it end? Will the United States follow Britain? Will we regulate firearms to the point of effectively banning all firearm ownership? After several years of firearm regulations, edged weapon attacks in Britain have risen to alarming rates. In fact, Britain is now considering regulation on edged weapons. Will this be our future?

I am all for the free market. The success or failure of a business should be left to the consumer and the business’ ability to compete within its sector. In Slide Fire’s case, however, it is not a free market that is causing its downfall. Instead, it is politicians making poor decisions by blaming a piece of equipment and not the person committing the unlawful act. This should be a lesson to us all and cause every gun owner to take a step back and reexamine the threat this poses to the Second Amendment.

Outlawing bump fire stocks will not quench the thirst of feel good politics or the efforts of those bent on repealing the Second Amendment; it will only embolden them for the next attack on our rights. Do you agree? Share your answer in the comment section

Growing up in Pennsylvania’s game-rich Allegany region, Dave Dolbee was introduced to whitetail hunting at a young age. At age 19 he bought his first bow while serving in the U.S. Navy, and began bowhunting after returning from Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Dave was a sponsored Pro Staff Shooter for several top archery companies during the 1990s and an Olympic hopeful holding up to 16 archery records at one point. During Dave’s writing career, he has written for several smaller publications as well as many major content providers such as Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Outdoor Life, Petersen’s Hunting, Rifle Shooter, Petersen’s Bowhunting, Bowhunter, Game & Fish magazines, Handguns, F.O.P Fraternal Order of Police, Archery Business, SHOT Business, OutdoorRoadmap.com, TheGearExpert.com and others. Dave is currently a staff writer for Cheaper Than Dirt!

View all articles by Dave Dolbee

Tags: ,

• Dexter Winslett

The only thing they will understand is death. Be prepared to defend your rights.

• George

When will the industry realize that compensation is Required if the Government takes your property. Additionally No Expose facto law is constitutional. If it was legal to own when you bought it it cannot be retroactively banned. Only new production or sales can be.

• Docduracoat

You are wrong about compensation
      It’s just like when they outlawed cocaine
      They just declared it contraband
      They did not have to buy back all the legally purchased cocaine even though most homes had some cocaine in the medicine cabinet
      It they took your property for a public use, then they have to compensate you
      This is the first anti gun law that affects me personally
      I love my bump fire triggers especially the one for my CZ Scorpion
      Everyone who I let fire it has a huge grin after using it.
      I am very angry that President Trump did what Obama was not able to do and ban bump stocks
      He has completely lost my support

• Alan

You get what you vote for.
    That’s where the real root of the evil lies.

• Rodney

I can agree, and disagree with that, sure voting is very important to this nation remaining free. But yet who do you vote for? To me either party and their ideas as a whole really have nothing to do with our Constitution and Bill of Rights in general terms. They both cherry pick issues that are usually social failings because our own society is failing themselves, so everyone wants the government to fix it…..and we see how that is working out.

• 70's Ops

It just pisses me off, that thousands of people who enjoy ANY product, are at the mercy of the very few who would abuse or misuse a product. Remember Jarts. Great fun, but some dumbass with the attention span of a gnat gets hurt, and they just go away.
    Look…..if yer that stupid, we surely dont need you diluting the gene pool.
    I’m surprised we still have 5 gallon buckets. With all the babies drowning in them daily. Hell, I had to put a $3000 fence around my pool, because some stupid ass doesn’t watch their kid. I say, you weren’t supposed to be a parent in the first place.
    I mean aren’t we smart people the majority. Doesn’t the majority rule anymore?? Or have we dumbed things down so far, that the stupid are taking over??
    I’m not talking Einstein smart. I’m talking, just smart enough to NOT need a warning label to tell you not to shower with your blow dryer.
    I feel incredibly bad for Slide Fire, and ALL the products and companies that have succumbed to the onslaught of stupidity that evidently runs this country.
    Without warning labels, the stupid would die at a much faster rate and at a much younger age. Perhaps too young to marry their cousin and procreate.
    I know I made a lot of generalizations, and I may have pissed some off. But don’t take it so literal. I know you ALL get the idea.
    We’re drowning in morons.

As always
    Carry on

• Darryl McDonald

Rock on mister 70’s Ops. You are correct, this younger generation has been educated by TV and video games. The parents seem to be persona-non- grata. So the snowflakes don’t seem educated enough to be more than sheep blowing in the wind. Like all the school kids walking out. Fail every single one of them. They are so stupid as to not understand that we have a constitution that made this country the greatest in the world. And it’s our freedom of speech and the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. And we also have a god given right to protect our family and property also. So all I say is we all order a slidefire and frame it just to meltdown all the damn snowflakes. Hoorraaahhhh !!!!!! 😳😝😋😳😎

• WVinMN

This country needs a national divorce. The coasts, along with Chicago, need to be ushered out of the Republic. And ZERO immigration from the newly formed cess pool of a nation will be tolerated. They are free to F__K over their respective “citizenry” as they see fit. And they’ll have exactly ZERO say regarding how the rest of us govern ourselves.

• G

You just said what the rest of us are thinking … great post!

• joefoam

I thought the photo of the marchers with the ban knives had to be photo shopped. Goes to show how out of touch with reality the left wing liberals have become. What’s next, sticks or rocks.

• OldGringo

While most of us in the US think a “knife ban” borders on being “nuts” we really need to remember that is only takes on jab or thrust from a knife for death to be certain. Probably one of the closest times I came to being deceased in law enforcement was when a 3 time convicted felon (of violence) tried to thrust a boot knife dagger into my chest during what I thought was a dui arrest. In total darkness my light showed his arming moving toward my chest and I was able to knock it away, slam him against his truck and position my Glock firmly against his ear. It was summer and like an idiot I did not have my vest on that night. And as well all know, vests do not stop daggers. Here is a link where a bullet proof vest salesman was killed during a demonstration…http://newsok.com/article/2041258. Not to hijack the thread but just to remind everybody here that if some fool pulls a knife on you, it only take one thrust and your kids have no father or mother, even if you have a vest on. FYI

• joefoam

The point of the comment was that anything can be turned into a lethal weapon. Stop trying to ban everything, it won’t change the result.

• WVinMN

You completely missed the point.

• Sammuel Cozad

Nope the London Mayor doesn’t think there is a reason to carry knife and wants to ban them. After they ban knives – what’s next – scissors. We need to push legislation to outright BAN something liberals DEARLY love! Like Windmills – think of how many birds we can save if we ban them. How about solar panels – think how many roofs won’t cave in under the weight. Ban David Hogg – think of how much needles suffering will be saved from having to see and hear that punk @$$!

• G

Very well put …. as you said to tthose that do not own a slide fire stock, what happens when “they” come for something that does matter to you? I could not agree more. I am not sure where they thought process is anymore at all. The truly scarey thing is this … if “they” ever change the consitution any part of it of any reason from that day forth it will be of no value. Unfortunately there seems to be less people that know this than those that would welcome such changes. I personally do not want to live like those in England or Austrailia or any other country that takes away choices from it people and then claims it is for their own good. It is all about control … and control is an illusion..

• rt66paul

While I have no use for a bump fire stock, do-gooders and anti gun politicians are wrong to blame the accessory and not the operator. While it is very hard to stay on target with this item, it is still up to the operator to aim it away from anything he/she doesn’t want perforated

• William Cook

This is the absolute WORST example of “one man, one vote”! By that I mean that a single person has managed to get an entire class of firearm accessories banned. What is next? Semi-auto? Or maybe ANY firearm that is capable of firing more than one shot? Where is the logic in any of this? I’m fairly sure that CCW was banned at the Las Vegas event in question… probably in a misguided attempt to prevent that very scenario from happening, yet just a few CCW holders would have put a stop to it with FAR less loss of life. Just saying.

• OldGringo

Dave, Dave, Dave: What are you saying? Maybe he had one or more bump stocks? Don’t play that game! Admit it, he had 12 of them on Ars rifles. Now, lets move on. From last September and backwards 12 months, there were over 30,000 stabbings in the UK. As a former cop and a person with advanced education in criminology I am going out on a limb here and say, that there were over 30,000 people illegally carrying the knives that they used!.. Dud? And so far this year stabbing in just London has killed 38 people, more people than murdered in a similar sized City here, New York City. Now the major says, “there is never a reason to carry a knife”. And the proposed new law adds additional restrictions on guns…and knives… Yep adding more gun control laws there will surely cut down on the knife problem…LOL… Here is a nice link: https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/knives-home-delivery-ban/2018/04/09/id/853417/. So, Dave, quit whining. And hope the do ban every single knife in the UK. In fact, lets hope the go door to door and taking every damn parking knife an butter knife out of the country. And my all means, the ACCESSORIES, which are really a part of the problem….knife sharpeners and whet stones, must be banned and seized from the peasantry. So, get off your high horse and support this mayor you crazy guy. I mean if banning and seizing all the knives will just save one tourist or none small child is it not worth it? Please rewrite your article and support these common sense knife bans. If you love kids and tourists at all you must do it. God save the queen.. .

• Dave Dolbee

LOL — I get to work on it right away! ~Dave Dolbee

• Archangel

Realistically, ATF should have declared bump stocks Class III devices from the start

• Leon

Constitutionally, the ATF itself is an entirely illegal entity !

• Patrick

You do know ATF handles more than firearms?

• Brian

Yes, they handle getting drunk, playing with guns and explosives while drunk, and we are required to follow what they tell us. Eyes rolling.