We spoke with Remington-sponsored shooter Robby Johnson in 2010 to discuss his competition in 3-gun events and his history in the shooting sports. During the conversation, we asked about future development of the new Remington 1911 R1 for competitions, and Robby mentioned that there were efforts in that direction.
In one of the first steps towards the development of a full-fledged competition gun, Remington has recently released their new 1911 R1 Enhanced model. With more aggressive serrations on the slide and a red fiber-optic front sight, the new Enhanced R1 incorporates many of the features sought out by competitive 1911 shooters.
MSRP starts at $625.
From the press release:
With the MODEL 1911 R1 ENHANCED, Remington Arms Company, under contract by E-RPC, LLC, is introducing a new, more aggressive model to its classic MODEL 1911 R1 product line.
Not content to rest on the accolades and success of our MODEL 1911 R1, the new ENHANCED model include design features selected specifically to enhance the shooting experience. In a world of composite materials and sleek, feminine style, the MODEL 1911 R1 ENHANCED is a reliable, handsome alternative to mass-market handguns. And it’s built with pride in the USA.
The Remington Model 1911 R1 Enhanced is manufactured with pride and precision, to the exacting standards you’ve come to expect from Remington. Right here in Ilion, New York.
- Adjustable Rear Sight
- Fiber-Optic Front Sight (Red)
- Front/Rear Slide Serrations
- Beavertail Grip Safety with Checkered Memory Bump
- Enhanced Hammer
- Anodized Aluminum Match Trigger
- Enhanced Wide Thumb Safety
- Flat Checkered Mainspring Housing (20 LPI)
- Match Grade Stainless Barrel and Bushing
- Front Grip Strap Serrations
- Custom Grips with Thumb Groove and Ambi Cut
- 8-Round Magazines with Bumper Pad (2)
Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced Specifications
- Caliber: .45 Auto
- Magazine Capacity: 8
- Barrel Length: 5″
- Twist – 1 turn in: 1:16 LH
- Overall Length: 8.5″
- Overall Height: 5.5″
- Trigger Pull: 3.5-5 lbs
- Barrel Finish: Satin Black Oxide
- Grip Material: Wood Laminate
- Grip Design: Enhanced
- Avg. Wt. (oz.): 40