Redefining the 1,000-Yard Cartridge: Federal .224 Valkyrie

By Dave Dolbee published on in Ammunition, News, Videos

Transform your MSR 15. Loaded with the 90-grain Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing, the all-new .224 Valkyrie provides less wind drift and drop than all other loads in its class and stays supersonic past 1,300 yards. The cartridge is the new choice for both long-range target shooters and hunters. Here is the full release and promo video from Federal Ammunition.

224 Valkyrie Products

Gold Medal Sierra Matchking

Extract the full long-range potential from 224 Valkyrie with the 90-grain Sierra MatchKing. The bullet design has been shot to win more matches than any other, thanks to a uniform jacket that ensures consistent, long-range accuracy, and a sleek boat-tail that maximizes ballistic coefficient.

Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint

The 224 Valkyrie is built to defeat wind drift and drop, and the 60-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint maximizes these built-in ballistics with a sleek, thin-jacket, polymer-tipped bullet. Its explosive expansion provides a violent energy release on impact for quick kills on varmints and predators.

Fusion MSR

Virtually every component in Fusion MSR is optimized for peak ballistic performance in modern sporting rifles. New 100-grain 224 Valkyrie extends range even further, offering devastating accuracy and terminal performance on medium game—with half the recoil of cartridges with similar ballistics.

American Eagle TMJ

Train like never before with 224 Valkyrie and American Eagle rifle. The loads feature Federal brass, clean-burning powder, consistent primers and accurate 75-grain TMJ bullets. They’re the ultimate range ammunition for the ultimate MSR 15 cartridge.

Flattens the Competition at 1,000 Yards

The MSR 15 has never offered practical 1,000-yard performance. That’s all changed thanks to the heavier bullets and extremely high ballistic coefficients of new 224 Valkyrie. Loaded with the 90-grain Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing, the cartridge offers as much as 127.88 inches less drop and 68.76 inches less wind drift at 1,000 yards when compared to existing MSR 15 cartridges.

More Punch. Less Kick.

New 224 Valkyrie provides comparable ballistics as larger counterparts like 6.5 Creedmoor but with as little as half the felt recoil.

From Targets to Trophies

The 90-grain Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 224 Valkyrie can tackle the most elite competition. However, loaded with other available bullets, the cartridge is also lethal on varmints and medium game. Gel shot at 100 yards with 60-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (P224VLKBT1).

You make the call: 1,300 yard accuracy from a Modern Sporting Rifle (MSR)? How will this change long-range shooting? What was your longest shot? Share your answers in the comment section.

Tags: , , , ,

• TOM

Don’t see where it says if this will fit on a standard AR15 platform & use 5.56 mags & just need a barrel swap. If so, then Ok, no big deal. What is it?

• Richard Wolzen

It,s all fine and good if you want to use this cartridge for competitive shooting, or predators, but I personally think anyone who attempts to take big game taking shots over 300 yards is unethical and lazy.

• g. coffey

In my younger days, I shot a 1000 yard with a modified 03A3. It took over a year to tune the rifle and the ammo AND MYSELF to the task. now I am to believe we can buy it off the shelf, not. It would be wonderful to shoot a 1000 yards again with a rifle that would not rip the wires out of my pacemaker. ;~>

• Jon Shaver

Thanks for the info–whether this is in production and ready to be tested independently or not. Knowing what innovation efforts are underway is interesting to those of us who are like to know what’s going on to develop shooting technology.

Every round EVER developed has had critics from the beginning. There really is no need to become emotional about such things. Rational analysis and testing in the field will either prove this cartridge out or not.

As for the $3,000 price tag on the rifle, who cares? If there is interest in this cartridge, the market will respond with uppers in the $400-$1500 price range, as has been the case with the SPC, Grendel, Blackout, and others.

Remain calm and let’s see what happens.

• Vic vapor

koool.!
    Seems to possess many of the desirable attributes of the good flight cartridges:
    Short fat body for better burn,
    Nice neck for bullet grab,
    Sleek long tapered projectile for efficient math,
    all
    in an ar style platform.
    I’ll take 2, please,
    can’t leave the wife out 😀

• 70's Operator

Thanks for the info, but I’ll be sticking to my 6.5 Grendel. It already reaches out further than needed, out of a $600 weapon. Between the 5.56/SBR and the Grendel, I’m covered from point blank, to well over 1000 meters.

• Spencer

Sounds fascinating to me. Wish I was 45 years younger so I’d have time to try something like this.

• Jeffrey Decuypere

How does the cross sectional density of this round compare to the 6.8 Remington? I’m kinda fond of military loads. I like my 6.8, but have found nothing equal to the 7.62×51. I also question the .224’s wound balistic’s at 1300 yards. I have no real knowledge of the .224, but find it interesting. Where is a good source of balistic info on the .224?

• Jered Hoke

Its supersonic past 1300 yards. It will kill you at 1000 yards. Should you be hunting game at 1000 yards with any cartridge? Absolutely not.

• Deplorable Robert

Just curious, of how a 75 or 90 grain bullet can make it 1,300 yards with “127.8 inch LESS DROP” at a 1,000 yards? Just sure seems too light no matter how much it is streamlined and can’t see how it could even be accurate in the least at those distances?
    Plus, the weapon to fire this round is 3,000 dollars!
    That’s a hard sell for me😎

• 70's Operator

Exactly what I mean. I throw a $475 RF85 upper on my multi-cal lower, and I’m sending 6.5 Grendel rounds down range, with “fish story” accuracy, with a readily available, inexpensive ammo. Really digging the Anderson products. It takes seconds to switch from 10.5″ SBR, to 6.5 Grendel. Its gonna take quite a product to have me change.

• TomC

The round sounds interesting, if it comes close to living up to the hype. But it is hardly the first (and it won’t be the last) round that provides better ballistics than .223Rem or 5.56NATO while keeping the OAL within the dimensions of a milspec AR magazine.

First question: What is the effect when the inevitable happens and someone loads a 224 Valkyrie into a standard AR, or vice versa, loads 5.56NATO in a 224 Valkyrie AR? (Before saying it won’t happen, recall how many 5.56/.300BO kabooms we have all heard about).

Editor’s response: The first part of this comment was deleted. Baseless accusations have no place here.

So far there are only a handful of manufacturers making guns for this caliber. I have one on order, but it has not come in yet, so it could be reviewed. A few of my writers are on lists as well, but none have been delivered. ~Dave Dolbee

• TomC

Thanks, Dave, your edit just confirms what we all already knew.

Bottom line remains that .224 Valkyrie is entirely 100% hype right now. This round might turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but RIGHT NOW it exists only as media releases written by marketing departments.

• Dave Dolbee

TomC,

I agree with that. However, given the interest the 6.5 Creedmoor generated last year, and the 6mm Creedmoor was predicted to generate this year, I thought an introduction was in order. ~Dave Dolbee

• TomC

Oh, I agree that an introduction is in order, Dave, and I even realize the problem you faced trying to post anything about .224 Valkyrie with no real information available, but at the same time please understand my position that we are seeing too many instances where ostensibly independent major firearms blogs are serving as shills by republishing company media hype without clearly identifying it as such. The Shooter’s Log isn’t nearly as bad as some others I’ll avoid naming.

• Dave Dolbee

TomC,

The opening paragraph says “Here is the full release and promo video from Federal Ammunition.” In the Tags section just below the article where I tag the keywords, it also has “Press Releases.” I get what you are saying, but I try to make it very clear, in both the opening and the tags, when a post is all, or mostly, a press release. ~Dave Dolbee

• art

i wonder what a 50 Beowulf necked down to 6.5 would do. what will the case capacity be. i still want to work my 260 when i get some time. finding a 6.5 in the ar15 instead of the 10 with case capacity would be great in my opinion. the 6.5 has a lot of good BC’s.