They come in a variety of sizes. Some are heavy-duty construction grade while others barely strong enough to mess with. The most common color is black and some have handles, grips and even convenient drawstrings. There are over a trillion sold every year and a staggering one million of them are used every minute. What am I talking about? The trash bag.
Besides the intended purpose of containing the contents of our trash, the trash bag has lots of other uses and thankfully relatively inexpensive. And because there are so many trash bags chances are you have also used it for other purposes as well.
Here are a just a few uses for the versatile trash bag.
- Cut into long strips and braid together to form a rope or cordage
- Fill with water, tie and set in the sun to heat the water
- Use as an emergency poncho or raingear
- Use as a tarp to protect gear or equipment
- Use as make-shift shelter
- Use as room darkening curtains for your camper, tent or RV
- Fill with air, secure the open end and twist in the middle to make a flotation device
- Fill with leaves or other soft fiber to make a mattress
- Place under your tent or sleeping bag for a water or moisture-proof barrier
- Fill with ice and place inside carcass of deer to keep meat cool
- Line flowerbeds or garden to control weeds
- Cut strips to make trail markers
- Cut strips to make tourniquet