Instead of packing bulky and awkward-shaped spice bottles that take up quite a bit of room in your boxes and bags, pre-make individual servings of spices using plastic drinking straws. Pouring all the different spices you will be using during your camping trip into straws and sealing them off creates an extremely compact and waterproof container for your seasonings.
Even though it takes some time to make these little spice holders, it will save space, help prevent moisture and humidity from ruining salt and other spices and cut clean-up time after meals. Getting the kids to help make these also creates a fun weekend activity. The time it takes in preparation will pay off.
What you need:
- Salt, pepper, sugar and other seasonings you use regularly
- Plastic drinking straws
What do do
- First, cut the straws into small pieces, about 2 inches, leaving enough room at both ends to seal them.
- Using pliers, hold one end, leaving enough room to burn the edge. Use the lighter to melt the two sides of the opening together. Then, clamp the burned edges together using the pliers.
- Fill the straw with seasoning.
- Leave enough room at the other end of the straw before sealing it to create an air pocket to prevent crushing.
- Seal off the open end of the straw using the method in step 2.
- Label the straw with its contents.
These straw containers are useful for so many other things, as well. You can fill straws with:
- Antibiotic ointment
- Anti-itch cream
- Cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly or other fire-starting methods
- Emergency fishing kit (line, weights and hooks)
- Instant drink powders (coffee, Kool-Aid, tea, and others)
- Coffee creamer
Do you use these straw containers in your camping gear or bug-out bag? If so, what do you put in them? Share your ideas in the comments section.
Trackback from your site.