U.S. Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) Talks Shooting Sports

By Larry Keane published on in General

Elected representatives matter, and so do their opinions. Of course, we all want our Senators and Congressmen to vote in our favor, but all too often it seems our elected representatives bow to political pressure or flip-flop on an issue in favor of feel-good politics. Sen. Cornyn (R-TX) is not only a friend to the Second Amendment, he is an avid gun owner, hunter, and sportsman.

Senator Cornyn dove hunting from behind a bale blind

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX)

Sen. Cornyn recently sat down with the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) for a quick question and answer session. Here were the results.

Who introduced you to hunting/the shooting sports and at what age?

I started taking gun safety classes and shooting as a teenager, beginning with a .22 rifle for target practice while my dad supervised. Every teenage boy I know of enjoys that sort of thing, but it’s important that people get trained so it’s safe for them and for those around them. I had my first chance to go deer hunting during college, which grew my affinity for the sport.

What was your most recent shooting sports/hunting activity?

I just went quail hunting with some friends, and I’ve been two or three other times this year in Texas as well.

Describe your favorite shooting sport/hunting activity?

I primarily enjoy bird hunting with my 28 gauge over-under Beretta for quail and dove. I’d like to consider myself an ethical hunter—if you shoot it, you better eat it. I’ve stopped deer hunting for venison because my wife and daughters don’t really care for it. Birds are a different story, and my wife and I take turns preparing them. As far as where I like hunting best, as they say, everything is bigger in Texas.

Which piece of pending legislation related to the firearms industry is particularly important to you and why?

As Americans, we have a right to self-defense. I have my license to carry, as does my wife and many other Texans. My legislation, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, would ensure this right will not be infringed. It should be legal for those who have a license to carry their weapon from state to state as long as they obey the laws in that state like you would with a driver’s license. You don’t need to get a driver’s license in all 50 states. You get one driver’s license, in your home state, and it’s recognized in other places. That’s a commonsense way to handle concealed carry licenses, and I am fighting to get reciprocity signed into law.

What do you see as the challenges and opportunities for hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts in this congressional session?

Well, we’re faced with a lot of challenges today, particularly with respect to keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals. One bill we worked to successfully include in the recent government funding bill, the Fix NICS Act, will strengthen our background check system and help ensure dangerous individuals who are legally barred from purchasing a firearm can’t circumvent the system. We had 78 cosponsors on that bill in the Senate, so that was a big bipartisan accomplishment. One opportunity we have this congressional session is to pass concealed carry reciprocity, which I mentioned earlier. That’s a top priority of law-abiding gun owners in Texas and something I’m looking forward to getting passed in the Senate soon.

Does your state have a pro gun Senator or Representative? What do you think of Senator Cornyn? Share your answers in the comment section.

Tags:

• Jim

John Cornyn is a traitor. He has voted for gun control bills in the past and now he has co-sponsored the “Fix NICS” bill. This might sound warm and fuzzy, but Fix NICS is loaded with riders and amendments that are designed to infringe upon our second amendment rights. He is the WORST kind of RINO and needs to be voted out PRONTO!

• Trey

Cornyn the Compromiser is no friend to gunowners ot to the 2nd Amendment. The NRA supported him last election cycle during the primaries, assuring we’d be stuck with his useless hide for another 6 years. It’d be nice if the NRA would abstain from supporting any candidates during the primaries so we can get an actual conservative rather than a compromise artist. Dwayne Stovall for Senate in 2020. Texas doesn’t need this bullshit merchant.

• Jim

I live in Texas and I consistently vote against Cornyn. We have to get the word out and get him voted out.

• Wayne Ellis

John Cornyn is one of the worst RINO’s in Washington. He consistently supported un-American Obama policies and practices in direct opposition to the positions of the Republican party and the best interests of America. He is just riding the wave of support FOR the NRA at the moment because it furthers his personal agenda.

• WVinMN

Yes and yes. Only McCain and his mini-me from SC out RINO Cornyn.

• Donnie long

Here in Oklahoma I only vote Republican, and those who support the 2nd amendment.

• Steve Standridge

l am from Texas so I knpw a thing or two about Cornyn. He is an establishment sewer dweller who lies like a Democrat every time he is up for election. I track his voting record- he is in lockstep with McConnel to undermine the President.

• Scott Hicks

Jeremy, did you eat a lot of lead-based paint chips when you were little? Or perhaps you were dropped on your head as a baby? In either case, I do have some sympathy for you – you couldn’t even spell your own last name correctly. Consider taking some remedial courses in reading and writing. And do please consider getting a thorough medical check-up to rule out any underlying organic or genetic factors which may be contributing to your condition.

• Doug

What if we started saying “self preservation against criminal violence” instead of “self defense”. Do you think more people would understand our motives better? I know it’s like dumbocrats calling every gun control idea “a common sense gun safety measure” but that lie has worked for them, so why not try our own re-branding?

• joefoam

Didn’t this guy team up with the dems to ‘fix NICS’? doesn’t sound like a friend of the 2A to me.

• Jon

Amen, Joe!

• Jeremy hatfeild

I think he and alot of other Republicans are turn coat sellouts on law abiding gun owners remember demorcrats in Congress are antigun and Republicans are pro gun well coryn says he’s probably gun guess what jow Biden said to use a shotgun for home defense when everyone saw the law enforcement failed to do hobs after being notified guess what coryn proposed more gun laws with who Frankenstein Diane demacrab that wants all guns but guess what coryn u will figure u messed up when u don’t get elected again like Paul Ryan figured he would lose so he decided he wouldn’t not seek reelection also and so did others

• Spencer

Paul Ryan has stated on a number of occasions why he wouldn’t serve but one term as House Leader. He also stated he would not run for the presidential office either several years ago.
      Bottom line he has stated many time it’s time for him to spend time with his family before his children have left home.
      It’d be nice if you get your facts straight before you run blab something you know nothing about.

• WVinMN

Paul Ryan is an open borders, big government loving Establishment Republican who’s completely OWNED by the Chamber of Commerce. He and his Leftist wife will almost certainly end up somewhere within a 30 minute drive of K-Street and cash in just like so many other snakes of his ilk. Screw him and the horse he rode in on!