Why I Love the 1911, but Married the Glock

By CTD Blogger published on in Firearms

The 1911 is arguably the sexiest gun to ever grace mankind. It feels perfect in the hand, recoil is an afterthought while firing. The 1911 manual of arms is akin to ballet. Graceful yet deliberate. When you hold a 1911, you feel as if you’ve just stolen Zeus’s Lightning Bolt. The sheer weighted balance of the 1911, reassures its master that when called upon, it can surely beat a man to death! The 1911 was forged from steel and wood, dug from the earth and formed by John Browning.

Well worn Colt 1911 left profile

When you hold a 1911, you feel as if you’ve just stolen Zeus’s Lightning Bolt.

With all of this lust, I married the Glock. The Glock is not sexy. The Glock is not graceful. If you’ve seen one Glock, you’ve seen them all. So why the Glock over the 1911?

Because, even though I look dapper in a tuxedo. I don’t wanna wear a tuxedo everyday, especially in the summertime. I cannot stand dress shoes, sneakers are much better. Ladies, you may love the way you look in a pair of sexy heels, but it’s gotta get old quick.

That’s how I feel about the 1911 and the Glock. The Glock just works. The 1911 is a real man’s gun and the Glock is a hardworking, reliable and incredibly dependable sweater vest with cankles.

The Glock is not sexy, yet I never have to clean it. When close friends come to visit, I show off my beautiful 1911. I easily push my Glock out of the way and with two hands gently pick up my 1911. I even wipe down the 1911 before I put it back in my safe. I can’t remember the last time I even blew the dust off of my Glock.

Both guns are great, yet the 1911 is not for everyday. The 1911 is America and the Glock is an early 2000 Toyota Camry. It’s got over 200k on the speedometer, yet it cranks every time. Sure, the Glock is tactical Tupperware, but I never have to worry about dropping it or marring the finish. Heck, you could even clean it in your dishwasher!

This was sent in as a reader comment, so you make the call — 1911 or Glock? Leave your vote, and reasoning if you’d like, in the comment section.

Tags: ,

• Randy Donk

the reason the Glock has followers is because they are operating on foolish misunderstandings. First and foremost,”the Glock has a higher magazine capacity” and to that I point out that 99.99 percent of us will never use our handguns in a combat situation and therefore magazine capacity has no bearing on use. For target shooting, I load no more than 10 because I like to see groups, and change targets and who likes to go down range with a loaded gun on the bench, and who likes to clear the pipe to go down range when its unnecessary. 2nd the glock trigger is the worst I have ever felt on a handgun, and the feel is worse than holding a bar of soap. like most non 1911 handguns the trigger pivots on a pin placed above the finger pressure point. this, even on a decent trigger causes the barrel to be pulled down and off target. a 1911 trigger does not pivot. it pulls straight back not affecting point of aim and its grip angle is perfect for a natural point. in self defense, the first one to get a shot on target wins. the thin smooth design makes the 1911 faster to draw from a holster and its perfect control placement makes if faster to operate, and 7 rounds are more than enough for multiple aggressors. the average rounds fired in self defense are about 3. its how fast and accurate you can deliver those 3. and remember the chances of getting into a gunfight are so slim that you will likely never fire any rounds except at targets that do not shoot back. so buy that glock, yank that horrible trigger, who knows, maybe your finger muscles will get a 6 pack. but I know my 1911 is going to put your groups to shame, whether in .45acp or 38 super. .

• Secundius

As long as the Firearm doesn’t have “Wooden” or “Ivory” Grips, the last statement of placing it into a “Dishwasher” can be applied to virtually ANY Small Arms Firearm ever made…

• Douglas G

Doesn’t seem like a good idea to condone not maintaining your carry gun on a regular basis, whether you use it or not. Hopefully, you are shooting it regularly in practice. Sure, maybe a Glock can go without cleaning or being dusted off for a while but gun cleaning serves more than making your gun shine. You should be inspecting it, you are testing the function, checking for loose parts that shouldn’t be loose, looking for metal fatigue (yes, this does occur with Glocks) or cracks and worn parts that may need replacing. Then there’s making the gun shine, or a reasonable facsimile, in the case of Glock’s drab appearance. At minimum, one should have a cleaning schedule based on round count, per manufacturer’s recommendations. A vital tool meant for saving your life should be treated as well as one possibly can. I find it irresponsible to suggest any less.

• Ira

I still clean my Glocks (yes, I have several in different sizes) after each firing session. I prefer an abundance of caution and respect for the firearm.

• HW Stone

I responded to this as a comment– and say the same thing now.

He chose a Camry with two hundred thousand miles on it, I will stick with the automobile version of the 1911– a Mercedes that, with reasonable care, easily tops a half million miles.

And I have trusted my life to one member of the clan of 1911 since 1971, when I bought it new.

• Ranger84

Title should read, “Why I Love the 1911, but Married the Glock and then cheated on her twice with Springfield and Sig”. Yea that’s right, admit it…Springfield Armory’s XDs and Sig’s P-series are much better and sexier.

• Ranger84

Title should read, “Why I Love the 1911, but Married the Glock and then cheated on her twice with Springfield and Sig”. Yea that’s right, admit it…Springfield Armory’s XDs and Sig’s P-series are better and sexier.

• Ron

Hehe…..,,well said, anyone who had ever owned a Toyota bought new and driven it 15 years and racked miles on it or bought a new Glock or insert other favorite work horse gun new and shot the lights out with it…..as well owns a 1911 knows exactly what you just said!

When I take my 1911 to the range I will run less than 25 rounds through it, and I only take it once in a blue moon!
    Or take it out of the safe once in a while to just hold it.

• Ace Ketchum

“The 1911 is a real man’s gun…” Good summary of article. I have a Glock and also a 2# ball peen hammer. Both are trusted implements. Keep them in the same tool drawer. For pure enjoyment and joy, 1911.

• karl