Best Handguns Under $500

By Jason Hanson published on in Firearms

One evening, Grayson H. and five of his friends decided they wanted to go catch a 7 p.m. movie at the Central Mall in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The mall was overly crowded, so they parked about 100 yards from the door and walked to the ticket counter.

Before the movie started, the group decided to go back to their vehicles, since they had a little time to waste before the movie began.

Mike Seekander teaches a student the right way to improve shooting skills.

Mike Seeklander is owner of Shooting-Performance LLC, a full-service training company, and the co-host of “The Best Defense,” the Outdoor Channel’s leading self-defense and firearms instruction show.

One of the friends in the group, Tabitha, was going through a difficult divorce and the group of friends was looking forward to a fun evening to cheer her up. However, while the group was standing in the parking lot waiting for the movie to start, Grayson noticed that Tabitha’s ex-husband was driving around.

Before Grayson knew it, Tabitha’s ex had jumped out of his vehicle and was walking toward the group. The ex, identified as 34-year-old Fadi Qandil pulled a gun from his waistband and fired multiple shots at Tabitha missing her.

Grayson saved Tabitha by pushing her out of the way, but he was hit by the gunfire and fell to the ground. Immediately, Grayson pulled out his own gun, a Smith & Wesson, and returned fire striking and killing Qandil. Grayson made a full recovery from his wounds.

Obviously, Grayson saved lives that day and while he carried a Smith & Wesson, which is a great gun, it’s definitely not the most expensive gun on the market.

I hear from a few folks that think guns are too expensive these days, but you don’t have to spend a fortune to get a quality gun.

Here are some solid handguns on the market that are under $500.

SIG Sauer P250

SIG P250 pistol, left profile

Normally, SIG Sauer firearms aren’t put into the “inexpensive” category. Their finely tuned construction and impeccable accuracy are more akin to a Swiss watch than they are a cheap handgun.

Believe it or not, SIG Sauer manufactures a handgun for less than $500, which is an incredible value for a high-quality gun and one of my personal favorite guns to carry.

The P250 is a double-action-only pistol with a modular system that gives the shooter the option to change to different calibers, barrel lengths, and grip sizes.

The P250 can be purchased in 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .380 ACP.

The price will depend on the specific options you choose but this is a great value for a gun under $500.

Walther Creed

Walther Creed 9mm pistol right with a spare magazine and boxes of ammunition

The old PPX was blocky. The new Creed overhauls the PPX design into a sleeker sexier design.

This is a relatively new pistol from Walther, designed to meet the demands of folks wanting a decent entry-level gun without breaking the bank.

The Creed was designed with comfortable ergonomics and a high-quality trigger that is typically featured on much more expensive guns.

In addition, in the 9mm you get 16+1 rounds, which is a great number for a compact 9mm.

The Creed starts around $400, and I love to carry this gun.

Smith & Wesson SD9VE

Smith and Wesson SD9VE pistol right profile

Smith & Wesson is known for it’s long tradition of making quality firearms including both revolvers and semi-automatics.

Smith & Wesson is known for its long tradition of making quality firearms including both revolvers and semi-automatics.

The SD9VE is a polymer-framed striker-fired 9mm pistol with a magazine capacity of 16 rounds.

The thing is, this firearm has been around since the 1990s and legend has it that the company spent millions of dollars researching the shape of the human hand to create the best grip and shape of the pistol.

The upshot? For around $400 you get a solid handgun.

Canik TP9

Canik TP9SF Elite S pistol left

The TP9 SF is a handsome pistol, but you’ll want it for the price and performance!

Canik is a Turkish company that broke into the U.S. market with its poly-frame striker that is extremely accurate and reliable.

One of the biggest advantages to this firearm is that you can easily purchase aftermarket accessories to upgrade or replace any parts.

Plus, with Canik’s TP9, you get a 9mm with an 18+1 capacity for around $350. I own this gun and it’s never given me any issues.

Kahr ST9

Kahr ST9 pistol left profile

Like all Kahr handguns, the ST9 is an excellent American-made pistol that is reliable, durable, and accurate.

The Kahr Arms ST9 is an ideal choice for concealed carry and those looking for maximum stopping power and ultra concealment with all the features of a tactical pistol. The Kahr Arms ST9 offers enhanced grip texturing, with an integral accessory rail and an enhanced magwell for speed and efficiency. Like all Kahr handguns, it’s an excellent American-made pistol that is reliable, durable, and accurate. This version has a stainless steel slide with front and rear serration for ease of operation and 3-dot combat sights to get you on target quickly. If you are looking for the ultimate in concealed carry, the Kahr Arms ST9 may be the EDC pistol you have been searching for.

The sleek-looking, two-tone, ST9 carries an MSRP of $456.

Do you have a favorite handgun for under $500 that should have made this list? Make your best case in the comment section.

Jason Hanson is a former CIA Officer and New York Times bestselling author of Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life. To get a free copy of his book, visit www.SpyEscape.com.

Tags: , , , ,

• Matthew Sims

Within the last 2 years I have purchased two new, EXCELLENT firearms for less than $500: FN FNS40 ($351.99) and the FNS9 with night sights ($436.99) – both through prices shown include shipping and FFL fee. You can’t be the price or the quality of the firearms.

• Dave T

I see no Hi-Power clones! Seriously?!?
    There are a plethora of sub $500 HP clones out there! Most are VERY good pistols. My favorite are those from Tanfoglio. I carry a Witness and would not carry anything else!

• Nancy Novatney

I had never heard of Tanfoglio until I saw a pretty little 9mm on my local range’s website that I HAD to have, Tanfoglio witness compact. Bought it without holding it and was a nervous wreck until it came in. First 4 shots were all in the center 3 circles…the fifth one was outside after I paused because I couldn’t believe placement on the first four. By far, my favorite handgun. Feels like it was made for me. First semiauto that I was not nervous releasing the slide because of the size of the beavertail.

• Don Sproles

I have carried a Ruger SR9C for several years and it’s a great gun. I don’t remember the exact price but it was in the low $400 range. Comes with a 10 rnd and a 17 rnd magazine, great trigger, dependable, easy to conceal and best of all, made in the USA.

• Joe Littleton

I carry a Glock 43 with a couple of extra mags with extensions in a strong side OWB. I have plenty of fire power with stock parts and the 43 is so light you forget you have it on. Deadly accurate out to 25 yards or “run away” distances, a bit snappy but nothing that will keep you from range time. And yes to many people it is ugly but it goes bang EVERY time. With pistol mag extensions this is the ideal pistol for under $500.

• Terry Boors

I have Ruger P-89, P-95’s, and most recent purchase a Ruger .380 LCP that makes the perfect conceal carry device with an added laser for target acquisition. Recently purchased a Springfield XD-S 9mm with a Viridian Laser snd 3 magazines as part of a Black Friday promotion.The 3.3mm barrel also makes a great conceal carry option with the added firepower of a 9mm Hornady Personal Protection ammunition. All this for $400.00! Best buy I’ve made in quite awhile.

• Geoffrey Zaffino

I have a Sig SP2022 I paid a little over $400 for, chambered in .40 Smith and Wesson. It’s a phenomenal pistol that included a holster and 2 mags, and has adjustable grips. Overall it’s one of my favorite Pistols even though it’s the cheapest

• Edwin Roberts

I’m in the market for a 9mm full size pistol for a new shooter to use. So I don’t want to break the bank but don’t want junk either. I also am not a fan of DAO striker fired pistols which is a big hurdle to find low price. Anyway, I have been researching and found the SP2022 which I had never heard of previously. I can’t understand why it seems to be such an overlooked pistol. When I clicked on this article I expected to see it included in the list. They probably should have put it in since it would be the only DA/SA option in the article. And I have found nothing but praise for this pistol online. Strange.

• Jimmy

I agree. I have a Sig Sp2022 in .40S&W and it a great gun and it’s under $500. I installed the Hannibal trigger and stainless guide rod.

• John

After I read about the CZ-75 I wanted one. But the price at the time was a bit more than I cared to invest. A short time later, I saw a review on YouTube for the Tanfoglio Witness, and I grabbed one up. Out of all of my handgun, and that’s a lot, this has become my favorite!
    Everything about it seems like it was custom made for me. The trigger is amazing to say the least. It’s magazine hold 16 or 17 rounds, yet it’s not bulky in the grips. It’s become my every day carry in a pancake holster tucked in the small of my back. When I’m not wareing a cover garment, I mostly carry a Makarov high capacity, (rather hard to find) but I got lucky, plus, I find it to be incredibly accurate.

• Dennis C Latham

I carry the S&W SD 9VE with shaped Hogue grips. I had read an article about it. The tester fired every kind of ammo in it and he couldn’t make it jam. That’s what I wanted. It has never misfired, and by the time I traded a used 380 for it, I ended up getting it for 50.00. It came with two spare mags, which made up for the 50.00. Basically, I got it for nothing. For the price, this is a great weapon. I think at any price it’s a great weapon.

• Patrick Labay

CZ-USA 01190 CZ 75 Compact 10+1 9mm 3.8″
    $518.00 / At 5″ tall with a barrel length of just under 4″, the Compact model shaves a little more than 3/4″ off the length and about 1/2″ off the height of the full-size CZ 75. Its reduced size allows it to readily disappear under regular clothing. The CZ 75 DA/SA action with a manual safety lever provides the user with two options for carry: hammer-back with the safety on for single action operation or manually decocked for a double action first shot with no need to remember to take off the safety before firing. Because the 75 Compact retains the steel frame of the original 75, only 2.4 oz of weight is lost, making it the softest-shooting compact in the CZ 75 line.

• Retired Navy Spook

Not a lot of glowing testimonials on the Sig P250 here, and my experience is no different. Worst shooting handgun I have ever owned, as in past tense. Mushy DA trigger, about 8-1/2 lbs. according to my gauge. Hard to shoot accurately either tactically or slow fire. Hey, it felt good in my hand at the gun store, and reviews were great. Maybe I just got a lemon. Nothing against Sig either as my EDC is a Sig P938.