Carrying a Back-up Firearm

By Jason Hanson published on in Concealed Carry, General

One of the most famous gunfights of the 20th century occurred on April 11, 1986 in Miami-Dade County, Florida. On this day, 14 FBI agents met in the morning at a local Home Depot to plan their search for a stolen vehicle that was believed to be driven by two suspects who had carried out multiple bank robberies.

10mm Glock G29 under Glock G43 pistol

Glock’s 10mm power is not that much bigger than the 9mm G43, but it offers a lot more stopping power.

Around 9:30 a.m., two agents spotted the suspect vehicle and began following it until more agents were able to join them. In total, eight FBI agents were on scene when the lead vehicle attempted to make a traffic stop. The suspect vehicle, however, veered off the road and hit a tree.

Subsequently, the agents surrounded the suspect vehicle in an attempt to arrest the two males.

The two suspects, identified as William Matix and Michael Platt were armed with a shotgun, Ruger Mini 14, and .357 revolvers. The FBI agents involved in the shootout were armed with shotguns, .357 revolvers, 9mms, and .38 specials.

During the firefight, FBI agent Ed Mireles was severely wounded when his left arm was hit with a .223 round, rendering his arm useless. Mireles stayed in the fight and fired his 12 gauge shotgun until it ran dry.

The two suspects were still moving and attempting to get away from Mireles after he emptied his shotgun, so he drew his back up weapon, a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver and advanced on the suspects. Mirleles fired six rounds from his revolver with five of the rounds striking the suspects, hitting each of them in the face, ending the five-minute gun battle.

Smith and Wesson 686 plus revolver with open loaded cylinder

The seven-shot geometry of the 686 makes for a fast lock time.

Sadly, two FBI agents died in the firefight and all but one agent was wounded. Over 145 rounds were fired during the exchange, and there’s no doubt that had it not been for the actions of agent Mireles, more lives would have been lost.

The fact is, even though Mireles was injured, he stayed in the gunfight and transitioned to his back-up weapon to ultimately end the threat. Now, most people probably expect law enforcement to carry back-up weapons, but have you ever considered carrying one as part of your EDC gear?

Here are some pros and cons for carrying a back-up firearm.

Pros and Cons

Uncomfortable

If you are like me, you probably carry a gun, tactical pen, knife, flashlight, wallet, cell phone, and a keychain. My point is, your EDC gear can quickly add up, so adding an extra firearm might be too much to comfortably carry for some folks.

I know a lot of people who like to carry their back-up gun in an ankle holster. While this isn’t a bad idea, ensure you train and practice drawing from the ankle. If you do it wrong, you could easily get hurt. Personally, when I carry a back-up gun (it depends on where I’m going) I carry my back up in my front pocket.

Woman shooting a hi-power pistol

The modern Hi-Power 9mm is a great combat and personal defense handgun.

3 Shots, 3 Seconds, 3 Yards

Studies have shown that most gun fights involve an average of 3 shots being fired, lasting 3 seconds, and occurring at a distance of about 3 yards. In other words, in a self-defense situation, (hopefully) you won’t need multiple weapons to stop the threat.

Of course, as shown above, anything is possible. So, while you should be good to go by carrying a spare magazine only, you and I know that life is very unpredictable.

Practice

When it comes to carrying a back-up gun, you need to spend as much time practicing with this gun as you do with your main weapon.

I know a lot of guys who carry a back-up on their ankle and they often train to draw the weapon while falling backwards on their butt, while engaging the threat. Be prepared to train with your back-up weapon and consider choosing a back-up that is similar to your regular carry so you are familiar with it.

Options

Browning Black Label 1911-380 Pro Stainless pistol

Browning’s Black Label 1911-380 Pro Stainless is available in full-size and compact versions, with an optional accessory rail. The slide is stainless steel and the barrel has a rust-­resistant satin-silver finish. Grips are a G-10 composite.

One of the biggest advantages to carrying a back-up weapon is that these days there are so many different back-up guns to choose from including the Ruger LCP and SIG Sauer P238. So, almost anyone can find a back-up gun that works for them.

Arm a Family Member

Let’s say you are out to dinner with your spouse when you spot an active shooter. Well, if your spouse or other family member is trained in the use of firearms, but doesn’t often carry, you could simply give them your back-up gun to help you confront the shooter.

The bottom line is, it can never hurt to have extra firepower on you. This is especially true if you’re heading into place that it might come in handy such as dangerous areas of town or through a city that’s experiencing violent protests at the moment.

Do you carry a back-up gun? Share the location of carry and model in the comment section.

Jason Hanson is a former CIA Officer and New York Times bestselling author of Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life. To get a free copy of his book, visit www.SpyEscape.com.

Tags: ,

• Roger

I have had a concealed licence for over 48 years and always carry when I have my pants on. I usually carry a 5sht snobby with crimson trace laser grip,my COP Derringer or my Keltec 32. With green laser n extended mag. I feel perfectly fine with these on. I am not a cop.

• TCE-Michigan

G19 – 3 o’clock
    G26 – Appendix
    Ruger LCR .38 – Ankle
    2 – G17 Mag w/Terran +5 & Flash Light @ 9 o’clock
    1 – G15 Mag w/Terran +5 @ 11 o’clock
    1 – 5 rnd Speed Strip (.38) – Ankle

or

G19 – Appendix
    G26 – 4 o’clock
    G26 – 8 o’clock
    4 – G17 Mag w/Terran +5 @ 2 on each Left & Right Shoulder Rig

• William Branson Gunter Jr

P938 Sig Inside the waste Cross Draw. two extra Mag Critical Duty 9mm +P 135gr. primary Browning HP 9mm Critical Duty two extra mags. In the winter the extra mags in an over coat. CCW Permit holder!!!!!. In the Summer just the ammo in the Gun !!!!.

• Linn Keller

I carried two backup pistols as a lawman, for two personally persuasive reasons:
    First, a handgun is a mechanical device, and a broken part can render an expensive, machined-steel sidearm into an expensive, machined-steel paperweight.
    Second, in an actual event, my partner’s revolver failed and became a paperweight: I handed him my backup revolver and we continued the engagement (the good guys won!)

• Pete In Alaska

Hey Dave
    I think your suggesting that the carrying of a backup firearm is a sttickly personal decision that is decided upon by possible time, place, threat assesment and possible level of a required response.
    Given the current crop of high capacity pistols available it seems the need for a back up or hold out firearm is now a somewhat more specialized requirement better suited to under cover operatives, LE Detectives, possibly Military Special Operations and so on.
    I’m just not convinced that the ordinary citizen CCP holder would have the need for a holdout firearm or is likely to be well enough versed in its deployment for it to be an effective deterrent.
    It just seems that this may be avdpevislized skill set not exactly suited or needed by most citizens.
    If one actually found themselves in a position to have to engage with afire arm the Rule of 3 is indeed likely to be what is most likely encountered. Should a longer engagement ensue I don’t precise the need for those last 6 to 8 shots if one is already carrying one in the tube, a full mag on-board an let’s say two spare mags of standard capacity for your EDC pistol. Got an example only: In the case of a 1911 in .45 of current manufacture that would be a total of about 22 to maybe 27 rounds with two mag changes, Should one prefer say a Springfield XDm in .45acp those three mags an one in the tube raise that number to 40 rounds available with two mag changes. I just dont see a backup being of much use with this kind of available fire power. The number of available rounds goes up even more if your caliber choice is 9mm or .40sw.
    If the idea of a backup firearm Is looked at from the point of view of being available when it may be problematic to engage with one’s primary …. say while in a car or being woken up in bed, or perhaps as a secondary reserve in ones Go Bag. Then I see a more useful common thread for such a #2 platform to be used by more people. I also agree that it’s likely a good idea that one’s primary an secondary platforms be of the same caliber but that’s just a personal preference.
    If you just a citizen, who is CCW for their protection and those around them I’m just not seeing the need to carry two weapons when given that the odds and stastics say your only going to need one weapon.
    This is my personal view of CCW in what could be previeved as a most likely situations one might find themselves today. Times change as do the requirements to be aware.
    I’m sure that many will disagree, that ok. I’d like to hear those arguments …. they might have merit that change my own opinion.

• davud

one argument for backup is having a fallback weapon should your primary fail. doesn’t seem like most people would ever find themselves with that need, though, given how reliable good-quality, widely available firearms and ammo have gotten.

• Karl

Carry a Glock where both handguns can use the same magazine.e.g.G17 and G26 or G21 and G30

• Lonnie G Hopson

carry a couple of 1911s…

• knight2

If I were LEA then yes I would always carry a back up. But as a citizen I already carry a Glock 30 with a spare magazine. Depends where you plan on going that day and carry accordingly.

• Deplorable Robert

No, I don’t carry a back up, but am now considering it. About ready to get the wife her Carry permit. Want her to carry a 22 mag revolver, no exposed hammer, and a laser. She has trouble racking the slide on my old .380, so she’s pretty much set on a DA revover.
    I carry an extra mag, but they are FMJ rounds for my Glock 32. 13 rounds extra of auto/ car door piercing ammo.
    Wouldn’t carry that for self defense initially. Just for reloading, if I use 14 rounds!

• Steven King

I carry a Glock 29 10mm primary in a shoulder rig concealed by a leather vest, an SCCY 9mm in an ankle holster and a K-Bar in a custom boot sheath.. Two extra 15 round mags for the Glock and one extra for the SCCY. Shortest gunfight I’ve personally participated in was about 15 seconds in July 1968, longest was 11 1/2 hours April 1969.. Leave nothing to chance, take care of your stuff and know how (and when) to use it .

• David Gilmer

I haven’t held a New Mexico concealed carry license for several years, but when I got my first one in 2007 our mandated training specifically covered the fact that only one concealed weapon per licensee was permitted. This did NOT include weapons in vehicles, but it is something for concealed carry licensees from other states to be aware of when carrying concealed in New Mexico.

• Steven King

That info is not included in the reciprocity agreements with Fl. Nice to know, thanks

• Mister Mischief

New Mexico has ZERO reciprocity for CCW period, not even w/a Utah CCW permit which covers more states than ANY other permit out there & which I have as a nonresident. I also have my MT CCW permit (issued to residents only) & a CCW permit for WA state as I live in WA about 40% of the time as opposed to 60% of my time in MT. In NM as a nonresident I’m allowed to open carry only…NM is an open carry state, & in AZ I have no worries as no CCW permit is needed. I researched this heavily a few years back, calling multiple NM law enforcement agencies (got the same answer everywhere), because I make an annual buying trip to NM & AZ & spend a lot of money buying SW Native American jewelry for my warmer weather (May thru Sept) traveling business selling that jewelry. In addition to carrying my Beretta M9 in a cross-draw driving holster, w/3 extra15-round mags, I also double carry, either open in NM (in my auto-on leather holster that came with my Viridian Reactor 5 green laser sight), or concealed carry elsewhere, my Ruger LC9S (either IWB at 5 o’clock w/oversize shirt untucked vs a pocket holster depending on multiple factors), also w/3 extra 9-round extended mags. Both weapons are 9mm & I use Hornaday Critical Duty 135 grain FlexLock ammo. I’m set w/2 weapons, 98 rounds, all extra mags in fast perfect access, plus what no one has mentioned, a nonlethal means, the Sabre Police Magnum (Model#M-120L) triple spray containing CS military tear gas, oleoresin capsicum (red pepper) & UV dye. Extras beyond what’s already been noted include my almost 40 y/o Swiss Army Champion knife, my Gerber multi-tool, my collapsible baton, a 2 AA battery LED Maglite, & a little Gerber utility blade knife that folds & is excellent for pocket or belt! I also have an 8-shot Mossberg 500 close by most of the time w/8 extra rounds of 00 buckshot on the stock. May seem like overkill, but that’s exactly the point, & there is little if any printing w/wise dressing of clothes!