.243 Rifles — Sorry Honey, I Have a New Love

By Ace Luciano published on in Firearms, Optics

You would think, being an avid hunter and given the number kids as I’ve introduced to hunting and shooting, I would have discovered the .243 Winchester a lot sooner than I did. My path was rather long and circuitous. I was close a couple of times, but never realized what I was missing until a change in the hunting regulations forced me to shoot the .243.

Savage Axis rifle topped with a Riton Optics scope

The Savage .243 and Riton Optics scope scope proved to be a worthy combination.

The closest I came to the .243, before turning 37, was the rifle I used to shoot my first deer. It was the same diameter bullet, but it was chambered in 6mm Remington. For reasons unknown, and what some consider several marketing “hiccups,” the 6mm never came to much prominence.

Back to the .243

Necking down the case of the .308 Winchester made the .243 Winchester to a diameter of .243. By doing this, you gain a great deal of speed while at the same time producing less recoil. First introduced in 1955, it was chambered in Winchester’s Model 70 and Model 88 lever action. This peppy little caliber can be found or hand loaded with bullets in the 52- to 110-grain range with velocities from 2,900 to over 4,000 fps.

That’s a screaming-fast bullet. Thanks to the advancements in bullet manufacturing and materials, today’s .243 a darned-nice caliber for any and everything up to the largest deer. With the right shot placement, even an elk or two may be taken with the .243.

I received my first .243 by accident. I worked a weekend event for some clients and, knowing that I had young children and that I produced multiple youth events, they offered me a Weatherby Vanguard .243 youth model that came with two stocks—one shortened and one full size—to grow with the youth and a Leupold 3-9x scope that they had used that season as a demo gun.

I took the rifle to the range with my daughter, shot it a few times, and essentially designated it for the kid. Then, a change in Wisconsin’s hunting rules dictated that I “share a gun” with any youth I took hunting.

We shot three deer with the rifle that year. Since then, we have harvested another 6 more deer with it, including the two biggest-antlered and biggest-bodied deer any of our family members have shot, a dozen coyotes, a few woodchucks, and hundreds of holes in paper.
Where the .243 really shines for me, however, is at the range.

I like to think that since I’ve grown older, I have learned from my errors and mistakes along the way. I would also like to believe I have become a little wiser in the process, and have finally overcome the “manly” notion that you need to shoot a big caliber to effectively kill big game. I can take my .243s to the range, easily fire 50 to 60 rounds at targets at varying distances and have exactly the same emotional impact (without as much of the recoil impact) as shooting any of my “big” rifles.

.243 Numer 2

Until last year, the Weatherby Vanguard was my only .243. Due to my recently acquired fondness for the .243, that had to change. The opportunity presented itself, so I jumped at the chance to pick up a Savage Axis in .243. The Axis has a laminated, thumbhole stock. The cost? That may be the best part. I was able to trade some field and floater goose decoys I would no longer be needing since I now live in a desert for the rifle after a the proper paperwork was completed.

The previous owner had only fired a box or two of ammo through it and I don’t think he ever cleaned the bore. He just wiped it off after shooting. As a result, he was not getting the accuracy he wanted. After almost an hour of work, the bore shone like new and was ready to go.

The optics on the gun were not very good—a $50 3-9x of some non endemic manufacturer, but I took it to the range and fired about a box of ammo through it at 50 then 100 yards. I averaged about a 2-inch group. Fast-forward one year; I acquired a trial optic from a relative newcomer to the optics world, a Mod 5, 4-16x50mm, Wide angle scope from Riton Optics out of Tucson, Arizona and some UTG 30mm rings from the fine folks at Leapers, Inc. I immediately thought of the Savage and wondered what the scope would be like on it.
The only challenge I had was that the scope was a bit short for the 2-piece mount on the gun. I solved that with a solid Picatinny rail mount, mounted the scope, and was off to the range.

A Pleasant Surprise

I received a pleasant surprise when shooting my Savage with that scope and something that I’ve never experienced before. Four different loads, all from different manufacturers with different bullet weights, printed within 1.5 inches of one another. The best 3-shot group printed just under .75 inch.

Yes, the .243 is an excellent hunting, varmint, and shooter’s rifle. I recommend you get your own. If you don’t have one already, you can’t have mine. The Savage and Riton optic combo, though… I’ll be relying on that combo for quite awhile.

Are you a .243 Winchester fan? Have you ever underestimated a caliber’s effectiveness? Which one? Share your answers in the comment section.

Tags: , , , ,

• Nick Carota

When I was 14, I finally convinced my dad to get a .243 cal for hunting groundhogs in PA. He was an old avid 22 Hornet fan, chastising me by saying “if you’d kill as many groundhogs as I have with that 22 Horner…etc”

He finally gave in and traded his 22 Hornet with a friend who had the .243…both rifles were pre64 Model 70 Winchesters. The .243 was the Featherweight model. To make a long story short, after I nailed a groundhog over 400 yards away and my dad dropping 3 whitetails in their tracks…he finally conceded that the .243 was better than his 22 Hornet. I have yet to find a better all-around caliber for PA hunting. And yes…after 55 years, I still have the rifle with the original Bausch & Lomb 21/2 x 8 power scope. And no…it’s not for sale.

• Glenn Naquin

When I started to deer hunt, I purchase a Remington Model 700, 30-06. Love the gun, later when my son wanted to deer hunt, I purchase a Remington Model 700, .243, for him. He loss interest in hunting, so place the .243 in the gun safe. A few years later I decided to use the .243 for deer hunting, that was 25 years ago and haven’t use the 30-06 since! The .243 is a great caliber for the marsh deer in South Louisiana, plus the long distance shots. Love the low recoil and the performance of the caliber. The most important thing about hunting, is shot placement!

• Foxfury

I have used a .243 since I was 18. It is the first deer rifle I have ever owned. She is a Ruger Mark 2, stainless synthetic as I hunt hard and can’t be worried about scratches or rain. I will say I am quite particular with shot placement but this rifle has never let me down. I have harvested dozens of deer with it, none have run farther than 75 yards. Many have been taken beyond 200 yards and almost 1/2 of those never ran they just dropped in their tracks. It is rewarding to watch them expire in sight because the only downside to this caliber is you don’t get much of a blood trail. I use Federal premium ammo as that is what the gun likes. She has never been a tack driver as a lot of guys can claim with theirs as it has a sporter weight barrel but she holds about 1.5 MOA.

I have taken a lot of ribbing from other men asking if I’m not man enough to use a real gun. My answer is that I enjoy eating what I shoot and have no reason to ruin half of the meat. I have even started shooting most of my doe in the head to save even more meat and of course no tracking is needed. The .243 has and will always be my go to for deer and smaller. Plenty of power, accurate, and pleasant to shoot on the bench. The price on ammo isn’t so bad either! Happy shooting y’all.

• SK

The first rifle I bought my son was a model 700 in 6mm Remington. Great caliber and a little faster than a .243, if you are looking for more velocity. I love it so much I got one in a Ruger #1. I also have a Cooper in .243. It is so accurate that bullets through the same hole at 100yds is not uncommon. It came with a 3 shot factory target with one hole in it at 50yds. Awesome rifle.

• Matthew Carpenter

Winchester Model 70 XTR II Featherweight in .243 has been my kid gun and light weight pack rifle for the last 10 years. Originally I mounted a 3-9 Redfield with a duplex reticle on it while shooting factory loads. I was urged by a friend to upgrade the rifle’s capabilities by switching to a 4-16 Vortex Diamondback HP with Deadhold BDC reticle and hand loaded ammunition.

On a good day at the range it will shoot under an inch at 200 yards, and has thumped more yodel dogs and ground squirrels than you can poke a stick at. The rifle barely taps my shoulder but seems to hit deer like a wrecking ball, myself and several different shooters I’ve loaned the rifle to can all confirm that the little .243 is plenty potent for Columbian Black-tail and fine medicine for pronghorn.

Heck, I’ve had people I’ve loaned my rifle to, return my 243. and then immediately go out and purchase/order their own. General consensus seems to be that the 243 is a damn fine cartridge.

Will it match up to a 6.5 Creedmoor? Hell No. But if you want a rifle that is light, inexpensive, cheap to feed, is easy on even the most petite shooter’s shoulder, while still having the accuracy and energy to spank varmints out to 600 yards… yeah, the .243 really can’t be beat in that regard.

• Daniel

I used to shoot a Remington 700 in .308 cal. for all my deer hunting. Now, thanks to what the MD calls a “frozen shoulder”, my .308 leaves me with bruising on the shooulder after only a few shots. I switched to a Remington in .243 ca. and I love it. I can shoot all day with no real distress.

• OldGringo

Got my first 243 in 1969, killed my biggest muley with it and one pronghorn out to 429 yards. Probably killed 40 muleys, white tail and pronghorn with it—it has an 18 inch barrel. Today I use a 257 Weatherby I got as a retirement gift and have a dozen deer guns from the 243-30-06-45-70-399 Wby etc. Any fool can put a 24 power scope on a 6.5 with a $1,000 scope and shoot an animal at 1,000 yards., but it takes a real hunter to move into maybe 400 yards and do the same with the 243….duh? I have $2,500 Weatherbys, but can get the same results with the little 243 and a $60 Tasco 3 x 9 scope. Are you up to that challenge? Just messing with the mall ninja guys.

• Fred Payne

I love my .243, but I think I like my 25.06 better.

• Randy Donk

I have owned 2 in my lifetime, the first a model 70 which I sold because I hated the action, not the cartridge ( I’m a southpaw, I refrain from the term lefty, as it has very negative implications), I replaced the Winchester with a Savage and that was the best move I ever made. I never over or under estimate any cartridge, the .243 is an excellent heavy varmint round and close range deer round, in the west, 500 to 700 yard shots are not uncommon and some beyond that. the .243 at close to medium range is effective on deer but too anemic past 500 yards. it is however very effective on long range paper targets, and that Savage 10 action is cold blooded accurate. I frequently irritate shooters who drank the 6.5 Creedmoor koolaid by out shooting them at all ranges even to 1500 yards, the ,243 is as relevant today as ever and is a cartridge that every avid shooter should own.

• Jerry Marshall

I agree about anemia of the .243 round at 500 yards on deer. However, after more than 40 years of hunting Mulies, the majority of my shots have been in the 5 yard (yes, walked 10 steps to where a MONSTER 5 pointer [10 point in the East] buck dropped!) to 200 yards, and with the thick pine and Aspen cover that I hunt, most of the time can’t see much past 50 yards anyway.
      And I agree that Savage 10 actions are very smooth. My Thompson Center Compass was very stiff, initially, but after the 500+ rounds that I have run through it, the bolt is much smoother, and T/C, with their MOA guarantee wasn’t joking! Still printing 1.5″ 200 yard groups. Just as long as I continue to clean the bore and chamber every 30-40 rounds, it continues to deliver the goods, accurately and reliably. If I forget to clean (been doing this at 20 rounds, lately), the cases become hard to extract from the chamber, and my accuracy begins to open up. But as long as I do my part, the rifle does part.

• Jerry Marshall

I have hunted with my old 30.06 for the past 40 years, and always brought home the venison. But at the range, 20-30 rounds was plenty for me. I bought a “MSR” in .223/5.56 and would shoot hundreds of rounds through it in a range day. Then I inherited my Grandmother’s .222 Remington model 722, and after rebuilding it (replying, trigger job, free floating, etc) would shoot 100 rounds. I wanted to use it for the up-coming deer hunt, but DWR decided 6mm was the minimum caliber, and Thompson Center (S&W) had just made available their Compass, with a $75 rebate), and for $200, I couldn’t lose.
    Now I go to the range and bang out 100 rounds and love every minute! And when my Son hits the 10″ swinging steel gong with his 30.06, and it swings back, I hit it with my .243 on the return swing and stop the gong. Or vice versa, but the amazing part is that both calibers seem to have the same effect on that steel gong!
    The BIG difference, however, is after 23-30 times at this game, my Son is ready to put his rifle away, because the recoil has begun to affect his accuracy, while I am still fresh.
    In the Army, many years ago, we were shooting .308 (7.62×51), and after 40-50 rounds, noticed our effectiveness would begin to diminish. Not so with the .243. And the .243 has better (flatter) trajectory than .308, so target hits seem to be easier out to 400-600 yards, than the .308. That’s as far as I shoot, and for practice deer hunting ranges in Utah, 200 yards is probably going to be the extreme distance, but it’s nice to know that if a longer shot presents itself, I can easily make it, cleanly.
    Yes, I am a recent convert to the venerable .243, and can’t seem to reload the ammo fast enough!