10 Top Handgun Choices for 2017

By Dave Dolbee published on in Firearms

2017 saw its share of new guns, as well as overstocked shelves before the election of President Trump. Looking back, there are still plenty of new 2017 models to check out or to slip under the tree or ring in the New Year.

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0

Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0

The M&P M2.0 pistol is the newest innovation to the respected M&P polymer pistol line.  Designed for personal, sporting, and professional use, the M&P M2.0 delivers an entirely new platform, introducing innovative features in nearly every aspect of the pistol, including trigger, grip, frame, and finish. Highlights of the M&P M2.0 pistol include an extended stainless-steel chassis and high grip to barrel bore axis ratio for reduced muzzle rise and faster aim recovery. The M&P M2.0 pistol further improves performance with a fine-tuned, crisper trigger, lighter pull and a tactile and audible reset. The pistol, available in three calibers, includes an aggressively textured grip and four interchangeable palmswell inserts for optimal hand-fit and trigger reach. The striker-fired, semi-automatic polymer M&P 2.0 is available in matte black or Flat Dark Earth and includes two 17+1 magazines. MSRP $599

CZ P-10

CZ pistols have a rabid following for a reason. You can argue they are not the lightest or sexiest pistols on the market, but for reliability and accuracy their value is dollar for dollar of anything else on the market. However, given the weight of a steel frame, everyone wants polymer and CZ answered with the P-10. Striker fired, the CZ P-10 features three interchangeable backstraps and a trigger that breaks at a crisp 4 to 4.5 pounds. Other features include a fiber-reinforced polymer frame, nitride finish, a generous trigger guard, and 3-dot sights. Available in 9mm or .40 S&W, with a 10-, 12-, or 15-round magazines, the CZ P-10 carries an MSRP of $541.

FNS Compact

The FNS Compact is proof that good things come in small packages—well, smaller packages anyway. The FNH FNS-9 is an excellent choice for duty, defense, concealed carry, and competitive shooting applications. The FNH FNS-9 is built from the ground up to be a reliable, durable, and accurate semi automatic pistol that is easy to shoot and carry—making the compact version ideal as a backup or for concealed carry. When you need an absolutely dependable, semi-automatic pistol, and like the sound of a 3.6-inch barrel to protect yourself and your loved ones, the FNH FNS Compact is more than worthy of consideration. The FNS Compact has a 12- or 17-round capacity depending on the magazine used, weighs 23.4 ounces, and is 6.7 inches long. MSRP $599.

Remington RP9 right profile

Remington RP9

Remington RP9

Striker-fired pistols are a dominant force in the market. It is a major marketing faux pas to not have one, so Remington jumped into the market with its first striker-fired pistol with the RP9. If you are going to make a splash in the striker-fired arena, an 18+1 capacity, interchangeable backstraps and a silky smooth trigger combine for a great start. For competition or training, the audible and tactile reset will be appreciated. With an MSRP of just under $500, the RP9 is ready for the range or home defense.

Taurus 180 Viridian Curve

Taurus 180 Curve is a truly unique ergonomic pistol design that features a slight curve built into the fame. This allows the firearm to confirm to your body and improves grip angle giving you an easily concealable, go-anywhere, lightweight pistol that is amazingly accurate. The bore axis sight system is, literally “Point and Shoot”, but this model also comes equipped with an integral Viridian laser/light combo built into the frame of the pistol. Small, lightweight, concealable and powerful; The Taurus Curve is quality personal protection at a price you can afford!  The Taurus 180 Curve weighs a scant 13 ounces, measures 5.2 inches, will only set you back $419 MSRP.

SIG Sauer P320 X-Five

Competition shooters rejoice! The P320 X-Five 9mm incorporates all of the most important features to maximize accuracy, shootability, and ergonomics while maintaining the modularity of the standard P320 platform. The X-Series grip module is exclusive to this line and features a deeper trigger guard undercut, higher back strap, and extended beavertail to ensure a higher grip for better recoil management. The P320 X-Five also comes standard with a removable grip weight for improved balance and a removable magazine funnel and extended slide catch lever to facilitate faster reloads.

SIG 320 X-Five

SIG 320 X-Five

Like all X-Series P320s, the X-Five has the straight trigger that breaks at 90 degrees for an even better feeling pull. The 5-inch bull barrel and lightened slide pair perfectly for match-grade accuracy and are equipped with Dawson Precision Fiber Optic front and fully adjustable rear sights. Additionally, the rear sight plate can be easily removed as a unit and replaced with a ROMEO1 optic, which means every P320 X-Five pistol is optics-ready right out of the box. Each P320 X-Five includes four 21-round steel magazines. MSRP $1005.

Hudson H9

One of the classic firearms debate of our generation has been Glock (striker-fired) versus the 1911. Is it really much of a surprise that someone finally built a striker-fired 1911? Essentially, the H9 looks and feels like a 1911, but instead of being a hammer-fired single action, it is a striker-fired handgun. The 9mm H9 features a 15+1 magazine and 4.75- to 5-pound trigger. Unloaded the H9 tips the scales at 42.6 ounces, and carries a MSRP of $1,147.

Colt Cobra

The 2017 Colt Cobra follows in the footsteps of the original Colt Cobras, which was produced from 1950 until the early 1980s. During that period, the Cobra was one of the revered snubbies on the market. The Cobra certainly benefitted simply by wearing the Colt name, but it also earned its following due to its lightweight aluminum frame.

Unlike many reintroductions, the 2017 Colt Cobra did not get smaller or heavier, The new version is more robust, made of steel and capable of handling +P ammunition. With a matte stainless finish and front fiber optic sight, the 2-inch barrel Cobra is easily concealable, perfect for self-defense and carries an MSRP of $699

Iver Johnson Pocket Ace

Iver Johnson Pocket Ace

Iver Johnson Pocket Ace

The .22 LR may not be most people’s first choice for a self-defense gun, but you have to admit two things. First four barrels of .22 LR is rather intimidating and a pepperbox has a cool factor that’s hard to beat. The Pocket Ace features four 2-inch barrels, a rotating firing pin and ambidextrous safety. Overall, the Pocket Ace tapes out a four inches and weighs a scant 7 ounces unloaded. Production has been delayed and is promised for late 2017. The MSRP should be a round $300 according to the rumors.

Nighthawk North Sky Hawk Revolver

Looks help, and if you are fortunate enough to own a Nighthawk Custom, you’ll know the true meaning of beauty, fit, and finish. When it comes to legendary revolvers, Nighthawk and Korth is a match made in heaven. The Nighthawk North Sky Hawk 9mm compact revolver is ready for duty as a concealed carry and personal protection revolver. Available with a 2- or 3-inch barrel, the aluminum frame Sky Hawk weighs in at 1.2 pounds. Feel the trigger as you drop the hammer, and you’ll find a way to justify the $1,699 MSRP.

What’s your favorite handgun of the past couple years? Share it in the comment section.

Growing up in Pennsylvania’s game-rich Allegany region, Dave Dolbee was introduced to whitetail hunting at a young age. At age 19 he bought his first bow while serving in the U.S. Navy, and began bowhunting after returning from Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Dave was a sponsored Pro Staff Shooter for several top archery companies during the 1990s and an Olympic hopeful holding up to 16 archery records at one point. During Dave’s writing career, he has written for several smaller publications as well as many major content providers such as Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Outdoor Life, Petersen’s Hunting, Rifle Shooter, Petersen’s Bowhunting, Bowhunter, Game & Fish magazines, Handguns, F.O.P Fraternal Order of Police, Archery Business, SHOT Business, OutdoorRoadmap.com, TheGearExpert.com and others. Dave is currently a staff writer for Cheaper Than Dirt!

View all articles by Dave Dolbee

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

• Rob

My favorite handgun, bar none, is my Ruger 1911, commander length.
    I have not experienced any problems in the 3 years I have owned it. It’s my EDC along with a double magazine pouch carrying 2, 8 round reloads.

• Doug R

In the past two years my pistol choices have been driven exclusively by my CCW permit. My SIG 2022 with CA compliant 10 round magazines is a lot of fun to shoot, is at least as accurate as I am and has never jammed. But I’m CARRYING a Ruger LCRx with 3″ barrel and exposed hammer because I can hit a golf ball with it at five yards and never miss a pie plate at any distance. You might say, sadly, “Doug, Doug, Doug, it’s only a .38!” Well, I say, with a smirk, “Go out any distance you like and try to catch one….”

• BUURGA

Choosing increased round capacity is a sign of lawlessness? WHAT defense scenario are you talking about? Law enforcement itself gets off far more rounds than three in gunfights and any number of videos are around to prove it. High round count has nothing to do with race or neighborhood. It is just good protection. What nonsense.

• Helen

I still love my Walther P99. Got those three magic words on the side: Made in Germany!

• Scott Nobles

I own a Taurus Curve with the Laserlyte module and it was the gun I regret buying the most. It had problems right from the start with feeding and jamming, even not chambering the next round. Sent it in to Taurus twice to be fixed, both times they said nothing is wrong with it. I took it to a gunsmith and he said it was a result of shotty manufacturing. Now the $400 gun has cost me almost $600 with shipping, range time, gunsmithing, ammo my time and gas and so on. So, now I have a $600 paperweight! Do not buy the Taurus Curve!

• John R

The Sig 320 X five looks interesting but the only new pistols that caught my attention this year are the Colt competition 1911’s and the Colt reproduction of the Marine 1911 rail gun.
    Then again they probably can’t do anything better than my Sig, S&W, or Kimber 1911’s, but that’s never stopped me planning on getting one. Maybe there’s a trade in the near future.
    Thanks for the article and your blog. Probably one of the best on the net.

• Daniel V

I would include the Canik TP9SFX since it is the 2017 Firearms Industry Choice Award for Handgun of the Year. The competition-ready pistol is chambered in 9mm with a 20+1 round capacity. Weighing 1.83 pounds, the TP9SFx boasts a 5.2-inch barrel with an 8.27-inch overall length. Designed for competition shooters, the pistol is optimized for competitive shooting right out of the box. The slide is “optics ready” with four red dot interface plates. It also features standard dovetail sight cuts that hold Warren Tactical Sights. Additional features include interchangeable backstraps, an extended slide stop, extended magazine release, Cerakote finished slide and a threaded hole on the optic mounting plate for an optional ambidextrous cocking handle. Designed to be an ‘out-of-the box,’ race-ready and ultra-reliable platform for competitive shooting, It features the smoothest trigger of any pistol in its class along with Warren Tactical Sights and the ability to easily mount the most common reflex-style red dot optics. Inside the box shooters will find the TP9SFx, two 20 rd magazines, a polymer holster with both a paddle and belt attachments, cleaning rod and brush.

• 70's Ops

Thanks Daniel V. I have a TP9SA. I can’t say enough about it. Every one of my friends that have shot it, want it. I dont buy things because people say to. Like, Glock, FN, S&W, Sig. All just names. I’ve shot them all. None compare, especially when it comes to the trigger. Smooth, crisp, and short. And for $299, with all the stuff it comes with. I’ve put nearly 1000 rounds thru mine flawlessly.
      Anyways, thanks.

• Sonny

My favorite firearm is my Sig Sauer c3. Semi auto .45 acp that looks as good as it shoots. 4.25 match barrel along with match trigger and 25 lines per inch on the front of the frame grip as we’ll as on the rear helps make this pistol extremely controllable at 27 ounces….my favorite carry and full confidence in accuracy and stopping power.

• Dave

15, 17, 18,…21 round capacity — REALLY ???
    Learn to SHOOT. FBI stats say that the MAXIMUM you are likely to “get off” in a self defense scenario is THREE.

Most of these sound more like –Ghetto Blasters–, than practical weapons intended for use by law abiding citizens.

• steven ebert

3 shots, huh? I guess that’s because there’s always 4 or 5 of them together when something goes down. I would much rather have a 20 round mag and not need 18, rather than only having 2 rounds and then it be a shame my family has to bury me because I didn’t have enough rounds to protect myself or a family member.

• Steven Scott

A guy once told me he carried a Glock 17 and FOUR of the 33-round extended magazines. I asked him what kind of armor he wore. When he said “none” I asked him if he thought he could shoot 149 enemies before anyone hit him. Same question for 17, actually.

• Adam

I bet you think highly of Joe Biden’s shotgun advice to his wife, too.

1) Three rounds is the AVERAGE, not the maximum.

2) If you only plan for averages, then you wouldn’t carry a gun at all. You also wouldn’t wear a seat belt or lock your doors at night.

No gunfight survivor ever said afterward that they had too much ammunition.

• 70's Ops

Well Dave, its like this. I’m gonna use at least three rounds as a deterrent while I seek cover. Maybe a couple more to ascertain the location of the opposition. Maybe a couple more to make sure he’s alone. Then, a couple for cover. Finally, I’m taking shots on target. That’s 10-12 rounds before shooting AT a target. Glad I have 18+1 . You sound like a paper target guy. I know a bunch of them. Knew some in the Army too. Sadly, most didn’t come back. There’s NO SUCH THING as too much ammo.

• Phoenix

Is that a joke?
    I wouldn’t own any one of these POS guns!
    Try some S&W Performance Guns, some Wilson’s or Ed Browns maybe a Yost.
    I’m surprised you didn’t say a Glock 43 or some other POS Glock!

• Grant

Yeah pos glocks that still have far better reliability than anything you just mentioned

• 70's Ops

Glocks….PTOOEY!!!! My Canik TP9SA eats Glocks. Best trigger ever. Not even one Glock owner can say that.

• Grant

Id take a reliable gun with a good warranty rather than a sweet trigger any day. And there are TONS of trigger upgrades for glocks which can make them however you want them to be. Caniks seem cool and their triggers are not bad, but they are cheap turkish guns warrantied for a year by century. Ill pass. Plus the model that was interesting was the da/sa version with the decocker. You know, like the walther 99, which is what that gun is a knockoff of…